Q. What foods can my 6-month-old baby eat?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

My baby has turned 6 months today. For the last 20 days, I have been giving her ragi and half a banana. Now that she is 6 months old, what cereals, vegetables, and fruits can I give her? Can I give her rice? Can I give her ghee and curd?

#

• Firstly, congratulations on your baby turning 6 months. You can now start her on complementary feeding. You have already started ragi, and that is good.
  • You can give her rice and other cereals and pulses. You can start her on simple rice and keep on adding one ingredient at a time weekly. So, that if the child is not tolerating any ingredient, you can start avoiding it.
  • You can add vegetables like carrots, beans, and potato. You can also add ghee to it. Curd can also be given but at a room temperature. Apple and banana are fine. Avoid citrus fruits.

If you have any other doubts, you can contact me.

For more information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

While traveling are there any snacks like biscuits which I can give? How do I know if the baby is tolerating it? Her stool after ragi and breast milk is greenish yellow. Is that normal?

#

• Well, while traveling, you can give her the regular baby food products available in the market as you do when you are at home. You can give biscuits dipped in milk or water.
  • You will get to know if the child is tolerating feeds or not. If the child does vomit or has loose stools or very hard stools, you need to be alert and start avoiding some foods.
  • Some foodstuffs cause an allergic reaction like rashes and itching. Green to yellowish stools are normal.
  • You can add enzyme stimulators like Neopeptine Drops or Aristozyme Drops (Diastase and Pepsin) for better digestion.

|