Q. Kindly advise the proper diet chart for a 6-month-old baby.

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara
Published on Dec 07, 2018

My infant is turning 6 months this month and we are moving to a different place. I am looking for a complete diet chart for an infant. Can you please help me get a diet chart and how to make the baby food for my baby, please? Also, can we preserve food in the freezer? My son's current weight is 7.4 kg, birth weight is 3.3 gm, low weight is 2.8 gm. Meals: Vegetarian and meat both preferred.

#

I can understand your concern. Continue breastfeeding till 1 year of age minimum. Can be extended till 2 years of age as per WHO. Start liquid diet (home-made) initially for one month. Rice water, dal water. Give semiliquid diet 8 to 9 months onwards, semi-solid diet 9 months onwards (khichdi, fruits, increase water intake as well). By 1 year of age, the baby can have a family meal. Every child is unique, so there will be individual variation. Avoid force feeding. Add different flavour a week apart. Kids love to have the meal when they see parents also having. Avoid distraction, while feeding. Give Iron and Vitamin D supplementation.

How can I know the quantity and how many times I should be giving solids? Is there any solid feeding chart I can refer?

#

Solid feed is usually 2 to 3 times a day. Weight and height charting is considered for growth monitoring. Complementary feeds are demand feed so it is not advisable to calculate and give, as it may lead to overfeeding or refusal.

Do I need vitamin D and iron supplement?

Query: Hi doctor, My 25-OH vitamin D total CLIA test showed result of 13.36 ng/mL. What supplement should I start and for how long? Also my iron is 41.2. Do I need a supplement?  Read Full »

My 1.2 year old son has difficulty in passing stools. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 1.2 years old. We have recently moved to a new city, and ever since, he is not comfortable passing stool. His stools are hard and cause him pain. Apart from climate change, the water here is very hard. He takes baby food and homemade food, which we also consume. His height, w...  Read Full »