Q. What can be done to improve the appetite of 22 months old baby?

Dr. Shilpa Reddy Diggireddy

My 22 months old baby girl had a fever on Wednesday and was on Babygesic and Sinarest-AF drops for cold and fever. Until now she did not have fever but now she has raised temperature. She has not eaten solids from Wednesday. I am very worried. Please help. She is such a poor eater and is currently on Dee drops, Aptivate for hunger on a daily basis. Vitamin D test was performed last year.

#

First of all your baby is quite underweight. She has to be above 13 kg by 22 months (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Coming to the fever part, she requires an antibiotic for the fever to subside. Please give her syrup Azee (Azithromycin) 200 - 2.5ml once a day for three days.

Now, her not eating solid food issue. Do not force her in any way or else she will develop an aversion to food and will become fussier. It is okay if she does not want to, do not come under pressure from the people surrounding you. They do not know your baby as you do. Please add the Pediasure powder to her milk and give it compulsorily twice a day. Her weight will improve in two weeks. I cannot stress this enough. Do not force food on her.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

She does not drink juice also, and now because of fever, she is not drinking milk. How will I give her medicines on an empty stomach? Currently, I am giving her junior Horlicks but looks like she is catching a cold quite often because of that. Will Pediasure help her? She does not like anything sweet.

#

Giving medicines to her in empty stomach is not an issue. So, do not worry. If you are worried about getting her stomach upset, you can give her syrup Rantac 4 ml 20 minutes before any medication. It will soothe her tummy.

Coming to Pediasure, yes it is a little sweet but not anything very high in sugar. So add Pediasure to plain warm milk. They have few flavors and also single-use sachets, you can try those.

I am stressing again do not force her, if you do, then she will not take what she is taking now too. The infection will reduce her appetite a little so give her a few days to feel better then you can start Pediasure. Presently, let her have whatever she likes.

| 

I will try Pediasure. She says that her leg is hurting off late. I am scared doctor. Can I continue to give her Aptivate or any other medicine that will increase her appetite?

#

Her leg pain is mostly due to the deficiency of proper nutrition which shall improve over time. You can give her Aptivate (Cuminum Cyminum, Embelia Ribes, etc.) but stop that till she has completed her present medication course because it will be difficult for you as well as her to take so many medications.

| 

After delivery, my wife had an injection for fever and milk production got reduced. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife has delivered twin baby girl. She had delivery through C-section. She had normal breastfeeding after 11 days. After that, she got a fever with high temperature. So, she went to a hospital. They gave an injection and a tablet for three days. Her fever was gone. But after that, she...  Read Full »

What is the proper diet chart for a 6-month-old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My infant is turning 6 months this month and we are moving to a different place. I am looking for a complete diet chart for an infant. Can you please help me get a diet chart and how to make the baby food for my baby, please? Also, can we preserve food in the freezer? My son's current...  Read Full »

My 1.2 year old son has difficulty in passing stools. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 1.2 years old. We have recently moved to a new city, and ever since, he is not comfortable passing stool. His stools are hard and cause him pain. Apart from climate change, the water here is very hard. He takes baby food and homemade food, which we also consume. His height, w...  Read Full »