Q. Are my ALT and ALS levels alarmingly high?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

I recently had a routine blood work done, and my ALT level is 62 and ALS level is 82. All other levels were normal. I am on Lexapro. Are these levels alarming? Do I need a drastic change in my diet?

#

• Your ALT and AST levels are mildly elevated, which indicate the presence of mild fat deposits in the liver. I would recommend that you get an ultrasound of the liver done.
  • Follow a low-fat diet by avoiding fried food, cooking oils, and fast food. Also, you should exercise for half an hour every day. Repeat the tests after a month.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thanks for the quick reply. Can Lexapro cause these levels to be elevated? Are these levels very concerning or very mild?

#

• These levels are only mildly elevated but need to be monitored at regular intervals.
  • Lexapro (Escitalopram) can cause liver enzymes levels to be elevated, but this is uncommon and occurs in less that 1 % of the cases. Lexapro can cause hepatitis, which in turn causes elevated enzymes, but elevated enzymes due to hepatitis are often far more elevated than what your test results show. That is the reason I asked you to repeat the tests after a month of low-fat diet and exercise. If after a month the levels are still high, then I suggest you discontinue Lexapro.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|