Q. Are my ALT and ALS levels alarmingly high?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman
Published on Jun 15, 2017

I recently had a routine blood work done, and my ALT level is 62 and ALS level is 82. All other levels were normal. I am on Lexapro. Are these levels alarming? Do I need a drastic change in my diet?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

#

• Your ALT and AST levels are mildly elevated, which indicate the presence of mild fat deposits in the liver. I would recommend that you get an ultrasound of the liver done.
  • Follow a low-fat diet by avoiding fried food, cooking oils, and fast food. Also, you should exercise for half an hour every day. Repeat the tests after a month.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thanks for the quick reply. Can Lexapro cause these levels to be elevated? Are these levels very concerning or very mild?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

#

• These levels are only mildly elevated but need to be monitored at regular intervals.
  • Lexapro (Escitalopram) can cause liver enzymes levels to be elevated, but this is uncommon and occurs in less that 1 % of the cases. Lexapro can cause hepatitis, which in turn causes elevated enzymes, but elevated enzymes due to hepatitis are often far more elevated than what your test results show. That is the reason I asked you to repeat the tests after a month of low-fat diet and exercise. If after a month the levels are still high, then I suggest you discontinue Lexapro.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I have frequent urination and severe pain in abdomen. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I had fever two days ago. Then one day ago started frequent urination and I could not hold it every time it happened. And there was pain during urination. Then started pain in the stomach. Today the urination is not that much but I have severe pain in both sides of my abdomen. I am no...  Read Full »

How can I rule out ALS?

Query: Hi doctor, About five weeks ago, I started feeling some weakness in my left leg. I have consulted my family doctor and a neurologist. All physical tests showed no actual weakness. There were no other clinical signs and the reflexes were also normal. There is no activity or movement that I cannot do....  Read Full »

I am not getting sleep even after taking Stalopam. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from insomnia. I have been taking Stalopam for six months, but I am unable to sleep in the night. I had Feliz S Plus before two years, and it worked for me. But, I was advised by my doctor to stop it. What to do now?  Read Full »