Q. I have painless, multiple, small, white lesions on the inner cheek. What are they?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

I went to brush my teeth, and I freaked out. I noticed multiple small white lesions (looks like small ulcers) on the inner side of my cheeks. They are totally painless. I do not know how long I have had them because I just noticed them a few minutes. Also, my oral hygiene is very poor. Please see the pictures and let me know if there is anything serious. I am a smoker, and I have nothing significant in my medical history.

#

I saw the picture you have attached to the complaint (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It is clear that they are not ulcers. These are called Fordyce granules which are nothing but a collection of small oil glands present in the oral cavity.
  • This is just a normal feature, but rarely seen among people. No treatment is required. I advise you not to panic because it does not lead to any form of complications mostly.
  • But only if there is any pain or infection since you told you got a bad oral hygiene, then please visit a nearby dentist to take a biopsy. Otherwise, do not worry.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. They are painless and I found them because I decided to take a closer look by my camera at my teeth for the first time and I saw them. Should I think of any cancerous, precancerous or infectious condition?

#

• You can be very sure about not relating it to a precancerous lesion unless and otherwise making it inflamed or infectious.
  • Top of all, slowly quit smoking. It is a major reason for serious oral diseases. Otherwise, you are totally fine.

|