Fordyce Spots

Fordyce spots are clusters of enlarged oil glands known as sebaceous glands that appear as raised bumps. They are harmless and appear over the borders of the lip, insides of the cheek, shaft of the penis, scrotum or labia in females. Treatment may be necessary only for cosmetic purposes.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Can Fordyces spot get inflamed and cause any discomfort in sexual life?

Query: Hi doctor, For a few years, I believe I have had Fordyce spots which are usually very small and do not cause me any issue; however, a few of them seem to have become inflamed and look very nasty and unappealing. It is hurting my sex life, and I am unsure what to do. Finally, I had a sexually transmi...  Read Full »

Dr. Nidhin Varghese

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. I have reviewed your attachments (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). It is the sebaceous glands that are enlarged a bit. No treatment is required. But if you want to get rid of them, you will have to go to a dermatologist a...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for small spots on my penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently observed small painless dots in the penis. What could they be?  Read Full »

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Kindly attach a picture of the condition so that I can guide you better. Revert with more information to a cosmetologist online -->  Read Full »

What are the tiny painless dots in the corner of my mouth?

Query: Hi doctor,I have tiny little painless dots in the corners of my mouth on each side. They are nowhere else on my body, and it feels inflamed when I lick them because they are annoying. I am not sure if I have always had them, but they get a little painful when I open my mouth and stretch out as far a...  Read Full »

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. The dots look like Fordyce spots or ectopic sebaceous glands. It is an asymptomatic and harmless condition. The pain while opening the mouth and inflammation at the angle of the mouth indicates that you might have Angular cheilitis. It might ...  Read Full »

I have small painless white bumps on my penis. What would be the cause?

Query: Hello doctor, I noticed a small cluster of small, white bumps on the right side of my penis about mid-shaft. There was no pain or itching, and they never changed. They never popped nor had a pus. There were about four bumps on the left side of my pubic area. After a few days of monitoring for chang...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I read your query, and I can understand your concern. From the attached image (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), you have Fordyce spots which are normal body conditions, and you need not worry about them. It can be said that they result from se...  Read Full »

Please suggest a safe home remedy to reduce the appearance of Fordyce spots on the penis.

Query: Hi doctor, I have some Fordyce spots on my penis. I have some small white raised bumps on the base and sides of the penis. There is some hair growth too. I do not have irritation. I have them for a long time. I think that they are ingrown hairs formed after shaving. For the past six months to twelv...  Read Full »

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. There is a presence of dilated glands known as Fordyce spots or syringoma (overgrowth of sweat gland cells). It does not require treatment as they are benign and it gets settled with time. Usually, they are harmless. If you want to treat them ...  Read Full »

What are the multiple small white lesions on the inner side of my cheek?

Query: Hello doctor, I went to brush my teeth, and I freaked out. I noticed multiple small white lesions (looks like small ulcers) on the inner side of my cheeks. They are totally painless. I do not know how long I have had them because I just noticed them a few minutes. Also, my oral hygiene is very poor...  Read Full »

Dr. Geethanjali. S. S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I saw the picture you have attached to the complaint (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is clear that they are not ulcers. These are called Fordyce granules which are nothing but a collection of small oil glands present in the oral cavity. This is just ...  Read Full »

What causes whiteheads on the upper lip and foreskin?

Query: Hi doctor, I have some small whiteheads on my upper lip and on the foreskin of my penis. They are visible only when I pull down the foreskin and they are located only on my foreskin. They do not cause itching. It seems like Fordyce spots. Please suggest.   Read Full »

Dr. B T Priya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to You are right. You have Fordyce spots on the lips. They are the opening of sebaceous glands. It is a benign condition and there is nothing to be worried. Apply a good moisturizer. In the genital area, you have some small white spots. They look like lichen nitidus. T...  Read Full »

Can a single genital wart exist unchanged for over 10 years?

Query: Hello doctor, I am not sure why I never bothered to ask these questions before now, but I suppose it is better late than never. I have what appears to be a single genital wart just below the head. I have had it since I was 16 years old. I went through five years in the military with this without an...  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hello, Welcome to A single wart cannot exist for such a long time. There has to be an increase in the number. Are you sure it is a genital wart? Were you diagnosed by a dermatologist? Clinical photographs would have helped. For more information consult a dermatologist online ...  Read Full »

There is a recent bout of Fordyce on lips, scrotum and penile shaft. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor,I had HPV warts 25 years ago. A recent bout with Fordyce on lips and a large amount on the scrotum and penile shaft. What should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have gone through your case. In my opinion, Fordyce spots are non-infectious lesions and are not sexually transmitted diseases. These are painless spots which occur in the area of sebaceous glands. It has no corelation with your previous HPV infection. Usually, it ...  Read Full »

Will small white bumps on the foreskin disappear on its own?

Query: Hello doctor, One week ago, I noticed two small white bumps the size of a pinhead appear on my foreskin. I have not been sexually active for more than six months. The spot appeared on the area of my foreskin, where I place my finger during masturbation. Over the past seven days, the size and appea...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). These small bumps are called Fordyce spots are enlarged sebaceous glands that are visible on the surface of your skin. Sebaceous glands help keep your skin moisturized. They are normally cover...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.