Q. I have forehead lines and wrinkles. How to get rid of this permanently?

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 30, 2020

I am most concerned about having forehead lines and wrinkles. They are light to moderate lines and wrinkles. I heard Botox is the only way to get rid of forehead lines and wrinkles but is not permanent have to visit and pay every three months to keep up with treatments. I am looking at other treatments that are less expensive than Botox that may still be effective. I heard of chemical peels and microdermabrasion and one female suggested I have microdermabrasion on my forehead even though I have sensitive skin but just to go less often for this treatment.

Also, not sure where wrinkle creams and serums fit in here and what ingredients should I be looking for to target forehead lines and wrinkles. Maybe it may be best to only use this wrinkle cream or serum at night. Which are some treatments you recommend I start out with that may work well to target light to moderate forehead lines and wrinkles and the wrinkle serums or creams ingredients I should be looking for to target my forehead lines and wrinkles?

I understand these treatments and wrinkle creams or serums will never get rid of my forehead lines and wrinkles but would like these lines and wrinkles to be faded to give the illusion. I have no lines and wrinkles on my forehead especially during the day.

#

I understand your concern about aging lines, please understand that the process of aging that is the process of degeneration of the fat, collagen, skin tissues that is responsible for maintaining the skin integrity starts from the age of 30 years approximately or even before, if you are overexposed to UV radiation, have a dry scaly skin, pollution, unhealthy BMI, and also lifestyle.

Topicals like creams, serums, ointments work most of the time only when it is started as a skincare routine at the age of 30. As you are 50 years now, the alterations or the disruptions that are already caused to these skin tissues will be quite stubborn to medical treatment and you will get a better response with cosmetic therapy.

Topicals can be used but in combination with the cosmetic therapy, in between the sessions and also as a maintenance treatment. For antiaging, it is always better to use serums as they have more penetration and permeability than creams or ointments. These serums should containHyaluronic acid, Niacinamide, growth factors, Vitamin C complex, Collagen, Retinol complex, squalene as some of the key ingredients and should be used at night time. The day time application of sunscreen with SPF (sunscreen factor) not less than 50 is mandatory.

The cosmetic procedures to choose from are many. Botox and fillers are the most commonly used because of its best and comparable response. Although there are other options like

1. PRP (platelet-rich plasma) with growth factors and collagen complex.

2.Glutathione shots.

3. Microneedling with serums.

4. Laser therapy.

5. Chemical peeling.

6. Vitamin shots.

The serums are used at night mostly because the ingredients make the skin very photosensitive and can lead to increased tanning/breakouts. These are not one time treatment and require sessions anywhere between four to eight and according to the response.

It is very important you follow a healthy skin routine for healthy skin. Start with cleansing your face with facewashes. Use soap free cleansers like Cetaphil or CeraVe or D acne. Avoid foamy facewashes.

If you have visible pores and you are prone to blackheads, you can use any alcohol-free toners after face wash.

Next step you can use the anti-aging serum. After serum, use a moisturizer gel-based preferably again you can use Cetaphil, CeraVe, La Roche Posay, or any moisturizer with an Aloe vera or oatmeal, rice extracts for a soothing effect. It is very important to use a moisturizer to seal in the moisture.

At daytime, use a sunscreen of SPF not less than 50, two hours before getting into the sun. Apply twice once in the morning and the next application at noon. Drink minimum of eight glasses of water. Maintain a healthy weight and diet.

|