Q. For the past two years, I have fishy vaginal discharge and itching. Is it a vaginal infection?

Hello doctor, For the past two years, I've been getting a smelly vaginal discharge, more like a fishy odor. I've never had any sexual intercourse. During those two years, my vagina was itching and sometimes it was unsupportable. I never went to a doctor as I don't know what to tell them and via message, it is easier to talk about. Well, it would be great if you looked into the matter as I'm scared of having got a vaginal infection. Thank you for your attention.

#

How are you doing? Hope you & your loved ones are safe and healthy.

For a young lady of 18yrs , not sexually active, diagnosis are

1. If you use vaginal wash or douching frequently. Use too many antibiotics frequently for any other reason. This could be Bacterial vaginosis. It's not an infection. It's just an imbalance between the healthy & unhealthy bacteria in your vagina. Every lady has a balance between these good & bad bacteria. They act like a security preventing any new infections entering body. Using vaginal wash or douching or antibiotics can kill both bacteria and disturb the balance. Treatment would be to stop these, use Oral Lactobacillus capsules. Vaginal wash daily for 5- 10 days with yogurt or curd twice daily.

2. If you use vaginal tampons or any foreign body.This could be source of infections into vagina. Then you will need a good course of antibiotics.orally & vaginally

3. Check your blood sugar levels. Especially if you have any family history of Diabetes. If yes, correction of blood sugar levels will cure the problem

4. Rare possibility is vaginal Tuberculosis., Especially if anyone in your proximity is suffering from TB, also if your area has too many cases of TB Can have your menstrual blood checked for TB- Need to contact your doctor then.

From your history I don't think it's anything serious to Hope I have clarified your query, do write back if any more queries & for your feedback All the best, take care

|