Q. Is it something serious to get a bad smell from vagina of a sexually active person?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta
Published on Jan 17, 2019

I am active in sex with no protection. Before three months, I had a boyfriend who had two other girls. They also have sex. I was there during every weekday and the other girl every weekend. And then, I had a new boyfriend. We had unprotected sex also. Then two weeks later, I met a guy. We had sex. So right now my vagina smells really bad. When I am at home, it does not smell but when I am at work, it really smells bad. Yeah, I know that the vagina really smells. But this one is different, it is like a mixture of rotten fish, or something expired. And I am using pH care every day. I am also using panty liner. What is happening? My other concern is that one week before my menstruation, I am experiencing spotting. Like one week also. Please help.

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Welcome to iclinq.com.

You seem to have contracted a vaginal infection and need to take a course of antibiotics. Your current partner also needs to take the medicines, otherwise, the infection will be recurrent. If you are in a flexible sexual relationship, kindly use condoms, it greatly reduces the chances of sexually transmitted diseases. Please take the following medications, as prescribed.

1. Tablet Fluconazole 150 mg once a week for four weeks after food orally for both partners.
2. Tablet Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day for 14 days after food orally for both partners.
3. Clindamycin with Clotrimazole pessary inside the vagina for six nights before going to bed for the girl.
4. You may have acidity with the oral medicines, So take tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg orally in empty stomach for two weeks.

Please use condoms.

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »

D and C (Dilation and Curettage)

Article Overview: Dilation and curettage, or otherwise called D and C, is a minor surgical procedure where the cervix is widened (dilation) and the tissue lining the uterus is scraped or suctioned out (curettage). This procedure is usually done to treat conditions like heavy menstrual bleeding or to remove tissues left in the womb after a miscarriage.  Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Dilation and Curettage (D & C) Overview Dilation and curettage, or otherwise called D and C, is a minor surgical procedure where the cervix is widened (dilation) and the tissue lining the uterus is scraped or suctioned out (curettage). This procedure is usually done to treat conditions like hea...  Read Article

I have white discharge and a smell. Please help me out.

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a white discharge and a smell. I have had it for a year and some months now. Last year, I was treated for trichomonas and I have not had the same symptoms at all, just this white discharge. No redness or burning and no itching. Just the discharge and smell. Help me out.  Read Full »