Q. I have puffy face and throbbing jaw pain. Why?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

I have had a cold for a week and it now feels like a toothache but it is not just one area, it is both top and bottom on the left side of the jaw and it is like radiating from my sinus. My face feels puffy and the pain is throbbing.

#

After going through your chief complaint, it seems a case of acute pulpitis due to a carious tooth. Initially,sensitivity was due to the weakening of enamel and dentin and with time it started pinching pulp. Acute pulpitis is characterized by throbbing pain, pain on eating, night pain, and it can radiate to jaws, head, neck, and shoulders.

You are advised to take up following medications. Tablet Amoxicillin-clavulanic acid 625 mg TDS for three days. Tablet Zerodol SP BD for three days, tablet Rabeprazole 10 mg OD for one week. Sensitivity tooth paste for one month. Do not worry, it will subside in one or two days by taking medication.

Remember it is only for symptomatic relief. After taking medication, do IOPAR X-ray and send it for further course of action. Preventive measures include usage of salt gargles twice, avoid food to accumulate in the mouth by rinsing after taking food, avoid taking hot liquids andsugar-rich drinks.

|