Q. How to heal my broken ankle?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2020

My partner, who is 36 years old, broke his ankle (fibula break) before 7.5 weeks. I had been for his appointment where he had an x-ray and found that the bone has not knitted together. He smokes approximately 10 cigarettes per day. I have found through online research, that smoking hinders bone healing and have advised him to stop, even if short term to assist with the healing of the broken bone. He had cast for three weeks and then was transferred to a walking boot with vague instructions on how to deal with it. He is being told that he should be walking more on the ankle which is broken. But, he is worried as he will cause more damage as it is not yet aligned. Also, should he be wearing his walking boot at all times? He wears while sleeping and he removes it while bathing daily. Please explain to him that how the bone will heal and whether he should be wearing his boot all the time.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• Fibula is involved in only 15% weight transmission in case of fracture.
  • Weight transfer can be effectively taken up by the tibia. However, it forms the ankle joint proper and the fracture site.
  • The fracture pattern are must to determine before giving any comments on the treatment. Kindly share your partner's x-ray for proper advice.
  • Yes, you are correct in saying that smoking hinders with the healing process and he should refrain himself from tobacco smoking and other tobacco products.

Revert back with the x-ray report to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

Does my X-ray show that both elbows are broken?

Query: Hello doctor,I fell off the bike. I took X-rays and the doctor is telling me that both elbows are broken. As a non-professional, I cannot see if it is really broken. I do not have any pain if I am not stretching the elbow too much. Are both elbows really broken? And if yes, do I have to wear the cas...  Read Full »

How is COPD treated?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has SpO2 level with oxygen is more than 95 and without oxygen is 75-80. He also has COPD. But, all tests are normal like CT scan, USG and x-ray. Please explain.  Read Full »

Is it normal to have peroneal palsy after tibial fracture?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a tibial shaft fracture and the doctors placed an intramedullary rod for the recovery. It has been two weeks. SLR and knee flexion are good. But, I am unable to actively dorsiflex. My doctor said it could be a common peroneal palsy and suggested for a nerve conduction test after fou...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now