Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I am worried about my prostate enlargement. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Devendra
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

The sudden increase in the size of my prostate from 75 g to 100 g in a year worries me. Three biopsy test results taken before six years were negative. The PSA level stabilized, and free PSA ratio was satisfactory. Please see the enclosed results. My problem is frequent urination.

Dr. Devendra



Welcome to

  • I think you have undergone extensive prostate biopsy under general anesthesia, and the PSA level (prostate-specific antigen) is not very different from now.
  • The rate of increase of PSA is also fine, and for a large prostate, PSA is on the higher side due to volume. The percentage of free PSA is also fine. I think these facts reasonably rules out the presence of malignancy.
  • The size estimation on ultrasound is not very accurate. So, if you do not have increased severity of symptoms, then it does not matter much to have 100 g prostate.
  • Get your PVR (post-void residual volume) to see how effectively you empty your bladder. If it is less than 50 mL, then I would like to add tablet Tolterodine 2 mg at bedtime along with Tamsulosin (Silodosin and Tamsulosin are equivalent as also judged by you).
  • If not satisfied with medication, then surgery is an option. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss my opinion with him or her and take treatment with consent.

The Probable causes:

BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia).

Investigations to be done:


Treatment plan:

Tamsulosin 0.4 mg plus Tolterodine 2 mg (capsule Roliflo) once daily at night.

Regarding follow up:

Revert after 10 days to a urologist online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I am urinating less in the morning when compared to later hours. Why?
Can frequent masturbation cause problems while urinating?
Is surgery necessary for a mild benign prostatic hyperplasia?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What is the best medicine to cure prostate enlargement?

Query: Hello doctor, I have the condition of enlargement of the prostate for the last over five years. I am 53 years old. I am taking capsule Urimax 40 mg once in a day and I am able to manage the condition. However, it seems that of late, my libido is negative and the sex life is absolutely zero. Though ...  Read Full »

Semen volume has drastically reduced after Consistam D. Please suggest a remedy.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 46 year old male. I was diagnosed with prostatomegaly (enlarged prostate, 23.48 gm) with significant post void urine volume (86 ml). The doctor prescribed Consistam D once daily. After taking for 40 days, the urge to urination reduced but semen volume and pleasure in sex drastic...  Read Full »

Is it true that my urinary problems cannot be cured?

Query: Hello doctor, Since the last 20 days, I am having urinary problems. My symptoms are poor urine stream, less volume of urine, the frequency of urination is more if I drink more fluids, urinary retention, pain in the area which is near the left side of the penis, and post void dribbling. My doctor to...  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.