Q. The new skin over my frenulum after a frenulum cut is white, wet, and peeling. Kindly help.

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I am 50-years-old male with a height of 5'10" and a weight of 88 kg. A small cut occurred on the frenulum during intercourse two weeks ago. I cleaned the wound with Detol and then left-wound as such for three days, thinking it will heal.

After three days, I found the skin around the cut to white, and when I cleaned it with cotton, it came off, leaving the wound open.

So, I applied Neomycin powder and started Cefixime tablet twice daily and Flucan 150 mg one tablet every three days. I also use Candid B cream. Now, the cut has healed around 70 %, and the skin peeling on the glans also healed.

But the new skin of the frenulum is also becoming white and wet and slowly peeling off.

Kindly help.

#

I hope you are keeping safe.

I have read your history. Please understand that I will be able to access the severity of the wound only after seeing a well-focused photo of the lesion.

Kindly revert with a photo so that I may give a diagnosis and guide you better.

Thank you and take care.

Thanks for the reply.

This penis issue is worrying me.

I have attached three photographs. I have also attached a photo of the front side to show that there is no problem in any other area than the frenulum area.

Please help.

#

I have seen the photos (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). The pictures look to be a fungal infection with the inflammation of the skin around the infection.

I suggest you take the following;

1) Miconazole cream for application at night.

2) Fudic cream (Fusidic acid) for application in the morning.

3) KZ soap (Ketoconazole) for bathe.

4) Tablet Cetirizine 10 mg once daily.

5) Kindly wash with lukewarm water and pat dry.

Follow medications for two weeks and review after two weeks.

Thank you and take care.

I am applying fusidic cream in the morning around 8.00 am. Before applying it, I am washing the area with KZ soap. Evening at 8.00 pm, I wash it off with KZ soap and then apply Miconazole nitrate 2%. I hope that the process is ok. I also have an observation thought of mentioning. I saw the whitish-grey skin is spreading to other areas on the glans on the left side and also on the neck of glans. It is like white shriveled dead skin on the top. So I rubbed it and it came off. But no abrasion was formed.

#

You can wash the area first with the soap and then apply the ointment in the day and night. Please continue the same for two weeks for a proper recovery. Avoid manipulating the area, and allow it to heal on its own. Thank you.

Your replies give me confidence. But sometimes I get worried and stressed.

#

If you have any other queries, kindly ask me. Thank you.

I am giving a sitrep below. I applied the ointments as directed for the last seven days. Today is the seventh day. There is a slow reduction in the lesions or abrasions on the right side of the neck of the glans. The glans have become smaller and the soreness has reduced. The whitish skin which was spreading on the other areas of the glans has also reduced. Now the whitish skin is there only in areas where original lesions or abrasions were present. The new lesions which came on the left side on the neck of the glans the next day after starting the ointment did not get increased in size and does not cause soreness as the earlier ones. It is also reducing. There is some slight itching on tip of the foreskin sometimes. Will I need to continue applying for one more week as suggested by you? Can I get back for a review after a week? Thanks.

#

Please continue using the medications for one week and review with photos of the lesion to see whether you have to continue using it further. Thank you and take care.

Today is the last day of two weeks of applying fusidic and miconazole. Almost all lesions or abrasions have healed, but there is a white mark wherever the lesion or abrasion is healed. One small abrasion is still open. The one on the neck of glans has become very small and looks like it may close in two to three days. I will send the photos tomorrow for a review and your advice.

#

Please do send the photos of the lesion for follow-up. Thank you.

Please ignore the earlier msg and photos. I am resending the photos. Those white marks are blended in with the skin.

#

I have seen the photos. It is healing well. You can apply the same medication for two more weeks and review it.

I have some queries. What are these white marks? Will they go? I have been avoiding all sexual activities. However, when there is an erection, I feel scared that the frenulum may get pulled and injured again. Thank you.

#

These white lesions look like a fungal infection. Please avoid manipulation of the area until the infection heals. If it does not get healed by 2 more weeks of application, kindly take a culture study from the lesion.

I will continue applying medicines as per your advice for another 2 weeks and then I will report back for review. In case of any new issue will let you know.

#

Ok, Sure.

All the lesions or abrasions have closed and healed. Thanks for your treatment. I have enclosed photos. I request you to say about the further course of action. Thank you.

#

I have seen the attached pictures. The lesions have healed well and you can stop the treatment and prevent future recurrences by following the precautions mentioned earlier in this thread. Thank you.

Your precise treatment cured me. I have some questions. Is there any prophylactic tablet that I could take on a monthly or quarterly or half-yearly interval to prevent fungal infections? Should I keep using an antifungal soap to wash genital areas? If so which one or is there something for men like V-wash? Can I resume normal sexual activities?

#

There is no prophylactic treatment for fungal skin infection. But you can get treatment at the onset of each episode. You can use the soap when you feel like there is an onset of fungal infection. Do not use it unnecessarily every day. Yes, you can have normal sexual activities. Thank you.

I remain indebted for your treatment. I will follow your advice. In case of any issue coming up, I will get in touch with you.

#

Sure. Thank you.

|