Q. I have frequent urination and minimal calcification. Does it mean prostate cancer?

Dr. Karthik Rajan
Published on Aug 20, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 26, 2019

I am 27 years old. I am worried about my prostate as my grandfather had prostate cancer and my father had an enlargement but was already cured. I had an ultrasound last year due to frequent urinating and result showed minimal calcification a year back. The Radiologist told me that the calcification has nothing to worry as it was not that serious and my doctor (internal medicine) also did not care about it. But I am still worried as what I have read is that even at a young age you can have prostate cancer. Though I am still experiencing frequent urination (I am now drinking a lot of water 2 to 3 liters a day) now, my creatinine is in normal level and KUB is all normal.

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

I have gone through your query. It is extremely unlikely for you to develop prostate cancer at your age. Even in families with hereditary prostate cancer, the usual age people develop cancer is above 40 years of age at the lowest, though it is usually between 50 to 60 years. That said, in your case, it is too early to jump to conclusions of having prostate cancer in your family. The most likely explanation for your symptoms could be a mild urinary tract infection or even your increased fluid intake. Prostatic calcification is commonly seen and does not imply anything significant to worry now. If you are concerned, you can do a PSA (prostate-specific antigen) test and a prostate exam at 40 years. If normal, then you can repeat it after three years interval.

For more information consult an urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

But is prostatic calcification not one of the symptoms of prostate cancer?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

The concretions seen are in the peripheral part of the gland, they are very small and do not cause any symptoms. These stones do not cause prostatitis, rather they indicate that you may have had an attack of prostatitis, which also explains your heterogeneous echotexture on ultrasound (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Should I go back to my doctor and talk about it more or just leave it for now?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

You can safely wait for now. It would be necessary for you to visit your doctor only if you get any urinary symptoms.

So far I am not experiencing any pain. Are these stones mostly seen in a peripheral zone? And is it fine just to leave them? As what I learned is that most of the stones really do not need any treatment.

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

These calcification or concretions are mostly seen in the peripheral areas only. This type of stones does not cause any symptoms at all.

Following UTI, I am getting vaginal dryness and pain. How to treat this?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI and followed by vaginal dryness. Right now, I feel occasional sharp pain in my vagina, which subsides after a while. Also, I am getting pain during intercourse. I wanted to know the ways to treat this vaginal dryness. I had urine and culture t...  Read Full >>

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pain can be due to cystitis or recurrence of UTI (urinary tract infection). UTI will not cause vaginal dryness. It indicates inadequate exposure to estrogen (hormone), which can be due to many causes. Regarding dryness and pain during intercourse, it can be reduce...  Read Full

I have frequent urination, thirst, and numbness in feet and hands. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old, my height is 166 cm and my weight is 54 kg. I am a female. I have been feeling symptoms of diabetes like thirst, urination more than usual, extreme hunger, numbness in feet and hands, tingling in my back, hands trembling, blurry vision, my wounds are taking so long to ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shazli Naseer
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are very young and have full symptoms, which is typical of type 1 diabetes where the body is insulin dependent and pills do not work. Your doctor should check for particular laboratory tests for that including C-peptide and insulin levels in your system. If your condi...  Read Full

Do you recommend surgery for my prostate cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am on active surveillance for the last 2 years. My initial prostate biopsy was 2 years ago and showed 1 out of 10 needles cancerous, Gleason 6, slow growing and Prolaris test showing a medium growth rate. I had second biopsy 6 months ago. Before the second biopsy, my PSA was 5 and four ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your details. My main concern is the rise of PSA (prostate-specific antigen) from 5 to 16. Though it might be due to infection, since three months you are taking treatment of infections. So, your PSA should have reduced if the rise was due to infection...  Read Full