Q. Is there any alternate for Lamisil granules for scalp ringworm?

Dr. Sirisha

My 5-year-old daughter has scalp ringworm. I am using head and shoulders intense medicated shampoo and topical 2% Ketoconazole antifungal cream. Her doctor also prescribed an oral antifungal Lamisil packets granules 125 mg to be taken in food for a month. I am terrified of giving my 5-year-old daughter an oral medication with such a scary track record or side effects including liver failure and death as well as vision problems, low white blood cell count, and psychiatric problems. Is there any alternative to this terrifying drug for curing scalp ringworm?

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrics
#

Scalp ringworm infection stays for a longer time. Topical ketoconazole cream is good. The oral medication prescribed is also good for the infection. There are a few alternatives. Any medicine carries some side effects along with it. We need to weigh the benefit and risks. If the benefit is more, we go for the medication. Side effects are mentioned but are rarely seen. It is usually tolerated well by children.

Alternative medication is called Griseofulvin which is to be used for four to six weeks or more if required. It would not be available over the counter. It needs a doctor prescription. It also has some side effects but usually tolerated well.

Fungal infection of the scalp.

Griseofulvin or Terbinafine.

| 

Can Terbinaforce Plus cream be used for ringworm infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having ring like patches all over the body for the past five months. I have itching all over the body including private parts and now it spreads to face as well. I had Griseofulvin tablets, Liv-Cet-5 twice daily and Terbinaforce Plus cream for the last 2 months. But, it did not cure...  Read Full »

Does drug absorption get reduced after a gallbladder removal surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, Can drug absorption be decreased due to gallbladder removal? I take Griseofulvin for a persistent tinea capitis. I was advised to take it with a fatty meal to enhance the absorption of the drug. My gallbladder was removed five months ago. Is it possible that due to this situation, the ...  Read Full »

What can I do for a ringworm infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I have ringworm from past three months. I have taken Sebifin for two months and Fungicros cream. But the fungi do not go away completely. It has started blooming in new places. Please help.  Read Full »