Q. Is there any alternate for Lamisil granules for scalp ringworm?

Dr. Sirisha

My 5-year-old daughter has scalp ringworm. I am using head and shoulders intense medicated shampoo and topical 2% Ketoconazole antifungal cream. Her doctor also prescribed an oral antifungal Lamisil packets granules 125 mg to be taken in food for a month. I am terrified of giving my 5-year-old daughter an oral medication with such a scary track record or side effects including liver failure and death as well as vision problems, low white blood cell count, and psychiatric problems. Is there any alternative to this terrifying drug for curing scalp ringworm?

#

Scalp ringworm infection stays for a longer time. Topical ketoconazole cream is good. The oral medication prescribed is also good for the infection. There are a few alternatives. Any medicine carries some side effects along with it. We need to weigh the benefit and risks. If the benefit is more, we go for the medication. Side effects are mentioned but are rarely seen. It is usually tolerated well by children.

Alternative medication is called Griseofulvin which is to be used for four to six weeks or more if required. It would not be available over the counter. It needs a doctor prescription. It also has some side effects but usually tolerated well.

Fungal infection of the scalp.

Griseofulvin or Terbinafine.

|