Q. I am upset with the color change of my penis shaft skin. Please help.

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 14, 2020

I am 27 years old. My weight is 87 kg and height is 184 cm. For the last four to five days, I began to observe that my penis shaft skin is changing the color from black (actual color) to brown (near to my body skin color). Also, I observed that some flat black mole kind of dots appeared on the newly forming brown skin. I do not remember seeing them before. Sometimes, I feel the skin a bit dry. I do not feel any kind of pain or scratching sensation. Currently, I am under medication of Itraconazole capsules 100 mg, Amorolfine cream and Clotrimazole topical solution for the last two weeks as advised by my doctor for some other fungal infection. When I went to my local doctor with the above issue, he prescribed Nilac (Clindamycin phosphate and Nicotinamide gel) and Benzoyl peroxide gel (Persol gel).

I am really worried about this issue. Lately, I feel that the penis shaft skin color change is slowly increasing and the black dots on the penis shaft is disturbing me mentally. Is this a side effect of my current medication or my masturbation or all together? Please provide your inputs on this. I am having a very difficult time with this. I am attaching some pictures. You can observe the black dots and skin color change on the shaft.

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

• Actually, it is a fungal infection only. Remaining mole like skin is nothing but, unaffected patches.
  • Penile area does not get involved in fungal infection, but sometimes it happens.
  • I would suggest you not get panicked and apply an antifungal cream same as you are using.
  • Wait for two to three weeks to resolve and your skin will acquire original color.
  • Continue the same antifungal treatment and stop Clindamycin and Benzoyl peroxide creams. Just use antifungal creams on the skin.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Is there anything else I could do other than using antifungal creams to make the condition better? This got me really worried by looking at it and reading a lot of things on the internet.

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

#

• Actually, black moles are normal skin and whitish skin is the affected area. Penile skin is very thin, so it looks whitish in fungal infection.
  • Then, as you apply all BPO and Clindamycin cream, which cause further change in look.
  • You are using correct antifungal cream and tablets, so apply the same cream for two or three weeks and it will become normal.
  • This skin area does not itch and so doctors do not think about fungal. But, it is fungal and your medicine will cure it.
  • You can apply Amorolfine cream on the penis and stop other creams with your treating doctor's consent.

| 

Today I observed that my penis shaft skin is becoming rather rough to touch and thick. It feels very odd, the skin near testicles contracted, shiny and dried up. I have attached the pictures. This is causing me headaches. Please advice.

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

#

I think your previous condition has improved. This is just dryness and mild contact allergy as you apply antifungal creams since two to three weeks. There is nothing serious. It will go away itself.

| 

Thanks. That is helpful. The black color is slowly fading away on penis shaft currently. But I thought brown colored skin goes away and returning to normal black color on the penis shaft. Is this normal? Also, the testicular area skin had formed dead skin and came off when washed. There is no irritation or redness. I washed it off slowly. Is this all fine? Thanks.

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

#

Yes, that is fine. You can rub or touch skin and just wash once daily. Also do not apply soap or shampoo. This area is thin and sensitive so should not irritate it. Please forget it and after few weeks it will be normal.

|