Q. I have fungal infection on my shoulders, breasts, and stomach with dandruff in scalp. Please help.

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

I have fungal infections on my shoulders, breasts and stomach. I have red spots and dry dandruff on my scalp and it is painful and irritating. Please help.

#

I understand that your concern, from your history I suppose you are already diagnosed with fungal infection/tinea corporis. As there could be many reasons for red rashes like urticaria, ezcema, atopic dermatitis, drug allergy, food allergy, fungal infection, folliculitis, seborrheic dermatitis, truncal acne, insect bite reaction, and photosensitivity.

However, if you have already diagnosed tinea corporis/ fungal infection you can apply (if age above 20 years), Lulliconazole cream for local application twice daily for two weeks, tablet Cetirizine 10 mg once daily in the night for five days, Ketoconazole soap for washing twice daily, and Ketoconazole 2% shampoo for scalp (apply for 5-8 minutes on the scalp before wash, twice weekly).

I can give you oral anti-fungal medication only after seeing the photo of the lesion and grading its severity. Review after two weeks. Do not continue the medications without doctor's advice.

Also, follow some general measures:

1. Wear loose, breathable clothes.

2. Do not use strong soaps, or detergents.

3. Avoid wet clothes.

4. Stay in a cool, well-ventilated room.

5. Avoid itching to prevent secondary bacterial skin infection.

6. Do not use body scrubbers.

7. Do not share personal belongings.

8. Sundry clothes and iron clothes before using to prevent a potential fungal infection.

9. Use only dry clothes.

10. Iron your clothes before wearing to kill the fungal molds.

11. Frequent changing of bed linens and towels.

I am 18 years old.

#

Yes, you can use it. Only for pediatric age group and weight, dose adjustment would be needed. Since your age was not mentioned in the query, it needed to be confirmed.

You were talking about oral antifungal medications. Can you please prescribe it?

#

I have seen the attached photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity), since the fungal lesions on the body are tinea versicolor which is different from tinea corporis, instead of Lulliconazole cream, you can apply Candid TV lotion. Since the lesions are minimal, you do not require an oral antifungal medication.

You can use Candid TV lotion to be applied on the lesions 3-5 minutes before bath twice weekly for two weeks. You can continue on the Ketoconazole soap (antifungal soap), tablet Cetirizine tablet (if itching present). Review after two weeks to see whether to continue the medication or not. Do not continue the medications without doctor's advice.

I have seen the scalp photo, it is not clear at all. However, for dandruff, you can take Nizoral shampoo (Ketoconazole 2%) shampoo apply and keep for 5-8 minutes in the scalp before wash, daily application for the first week and then twice weekly from the second week. Continue until clearance.

From the finger photo, it looks like a minor exfoliation, skin peeling, and not anything to be worried about. You can apply any moisturizer on that area.

|