Q. I have a pimple-like bump on the toe which hurts on walking. What is it?

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

I have a pimple-like bump on my toe. When I tried to pop it I noticed that it was hard. It hurts when I walk and I now have three bumps. Two of them are flat now.

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

We appreciate your concern about your skin eruption. Before I am able to help you in this regard, I would like to have the following additional information:

What was the location of the original and recent bumps? Specifically, were they on the upper side of the toe near the hairy area or over the soles? What has been the duration of the first bump? Can you post a photograph of the same?

In case the bumps are on the upper side of the toe, in particular, if they seem to be arising from or near the hair follicles, then they could indicate furuncles, which are deep-seated infections of the hair follicle and though they can arise in healthy individuals, they are a little more common in diabetics. They are painful, warm and become hard, but often show a visible yellowish pus point. In that case, we would have to suggest a short course of oral antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicines and suggest an antibiotic cream.

In case they are on the sole i.e. undersurface of the toes, then they could be corns. But corns typically are of long duration, appear over pressure prone areas of the toe and do not subside on their own. They also hurt on walking. They can be treated medically as well as surgically. Thus, to be able to guide you for the best treatment, I need to have your answers to my three questions raised above.

| 

Why is my vision opaque after a corneal transplant?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having vision problem in my right eye. I had corneal transplant done and no stitches have been removed. My vision is opaque now. Is this possibly a rejection? For the eye, I am using Prednisolone, Timolol, antibiotic eye drops and Muro 128. I am diabetic and also taking medicines fo...  Read Full »

I tried to pop a pimple on my thigh and it turned into a large sore. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I had what I thought was a pimple on my inner thigh. I tried to pop it, but it just got swollen and red. It has now been three to four days and it has turned into a large open sore. It is about 3/8 inches wide and only hurts when it rubs against clothing. I am attaching a picture of ...  Read Full »

Are corneal thickness and stromal thickness the same?

Query: Hi doctor, What is corneal stromal thickness? I got LASIK done. I got pentacam and my cornea thickness is 465 microns. Is it same as corneal stromal thickness? Please explain me.  Read Full »