Q. I weigh only 37 kg and neither of the appetizers work for me. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

My age is 23. But, I weigh only 37 kg for 158 cm height. My parents consulted different medical practitioners, but nothing worked out. Appetizers did not work too. I do not have strong immunity. I get fever often. No one in my family is lean other than me. They all have normal weight. I weighed 3 kg when I was born and it was a normal delivery. Food does not interest me really except sweets and ice creams. Please help.

#

• For a height of 158 cm, your ideal weight should be between 56 to 60 kg. You can definitely gain weight.
  • First of all, I would suggest you to rule out any chronic disease by carrying out complete blood count, chest x-ray, thyroid hormone profile, liver function tests and blood glucose.
  • Choose high calorific foods like milk shakes, fruits like banana, pineapple, sapodilla, pear and dry fruits. Add more protein like peanut, soybean, pulses and meat (if non-vegetarian) in your diet.
  • Egg and milk are wholesome food. Take them daily. Warm milk before going to bed brings in a healthy and considerable weight gain. Start with smaller proportions initially and gradually increase the intake.
  • Eat five to six small balanced meals per day rather than eating three large meals.
  • Protein powder and nutritional supplement drinks can be added. In order to increase appetite, you can take Cyproheptadine syrup (Cyproheptadine hydrochloride).
  • It is important to have a balance between exercise and diet for healthy weight gain.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Can you suggest a diet chart? How many months will it take to see a considerable change? Because, I have never crossed 37 kg in these entire 23 years even if I increase my intake. For one year, I had milk, honey and raw eggs as my morning drink. But, I gained only 1 kg. Nearly for five years, I skipped breakfast. Might it be a reason that I am not gaining weight now? Please help.

#

• If you have any stress please release it. That may be a reason for not gaining weight.
  • You should never skip your breakfast. Actually, breakfast should be heavy. Increase protein intake in your diet.
  • Consume a lot of high calorie snacks (not junk foods) such as cheese sticks, milk shakes, muffins, dry fruits and yoghurts.
  • Eat starchy vegetables like potatoes and corn more often. Eat bananas and two fresh fig daily.

Eat at least the following groups of food items:

1. Milk group - Milk, cheese, yoghurt, cottage cheese and ice cream.
  2. Meat group - Meat, fish, poultry and eggs.
  3. Vegetable group - Dried beans, peas, nuts and potatoes.
  4. Fruit group - Fruit juices, fruits like bananas, mango and sapodilla.
  5. Grain group - Cereals, bread rolls, pasta, pancakes, rice and muffins.
  • I would suggest you to keep a record of calorie intake each day. Try to increase calorie intake by checking the record and continue to increase calorie intake until you gain weight.
  • You said food does not interest you, but you have to eat more to gain more weight.

|