Q. I have facial hair, weight gain, and breastmilk secretion even after two years of delivery. Please help.

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on May 20, 2021 and last reviewed on: Jun 18, 2021

I gave birth to a baby almost two years ago and still have milk in my breasts. I do not breastfeed. I also have gained weight and have hair on my face. My neutrophil level is low, and bilirubin and hemoglobin levels are high. They said that my spleen is deformed. Please help.

#

Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from facial hair, weight gain, and continuous breast milk production. I have gone through your investigation reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) and found that your bilirubin (direct) and hemoglobin level are slightly higher than usual, and neutrophil is marginally lower than the average level. The change in blood parameters does not suggest anything abnormal or severe health problems. Keep in mind that one blood picture does not confirm anything. Results may vary from laboratories to laboratories due to examination methods, reagents, instruments, etc. So, do not worry. Take plenty of fluids and bed rest, and your bilirubin level will go back to its normal range. Again, the production of breast milk without breastfeeding is known as galactorrhea. The leading cause of galactorrhea is excess prolactin production or hyperproteinemia due to causes like a pituitary tumor. Other causes are thyroid hormone dysfunction, chronic kidney or liver disease, nerve damage in the chest wall, spinal cord disorders, oral contraceptive pills, medications like certain sedatives, antidepressants, antipsychotics or antihypertensive drugs, opioid uses, herbal medicines, etc.

It would help if you undergo some investigations like serum prolactin level, thyroid function tests, CT (computed tomography) scan or MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the pituitary area, breast ultrasound, liver function tests, kidney functions tests, etc., to find out the exact cause for your present suffering and treat them accordingly. Again, breast examination and visual assessments like size, shape, etc., are also needed to exclude any abnormalities. Sorry to say that I do not understand the language of your ultrasound report. A proper description of the spleen is required in English for further evaluation. Take care. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thanks for the reply. Is there any medicine that I could take to lower the prolactin level?

#

Some medications are available, but galactorrhea is not a disease; it is a symptom of a disease. So it will be better to undergo the investigations first to find out the exact cause of your issue and treat them accordingly. I suggest Cycloset (Bromocriptine) and Dostinex (Cabergoline). Bromocriptine, like Cycloset, can be started initially with 1.25 mg to 2.5 mg orally once daily, and Cabergoline, like Dostinex, initially 0.25 mg to 0.5 mg twice weekly. Either Bromocriptine or Cabergoline or both may be used to subside galactorrhea. Take care. In case of any other query, ask me.

|