Q. Is gallbladder surgery a must in cystic duct syndrome?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2019

My daughter is suffering from abdominal pain due to gallbladder problem. She is suffering from stomach pain for the past one year. It has aggravated recently. She gets pain when she eats green leafy vegetables or fatty foods. She had an antibiotic for a month. Doctors have told that water has formed around her gallbladder along with infection. CT scan, HIDA scan, color Doppler and endoscopy tests all are normal. Is there any dysfunction of gallbladder seen in HIDA test? Or cystic duct syndrome? Is gallbladder surgery compulsory? Please help me.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

The report says that she has a component of decreased gallbladder motility associated with polycystic changes in ovaries (PCOD). Now, we need to get LFT (liver function tests) done.

Did she had pain as well as fever or jaundice? At present, is she symptomatic? Or asymptomatic? Kindly provide details of her weight. Obesity is associated with cystic changes in ovaries. Surgery is not compulsory in this case.

| 

Sometimes she has fever with pain but no jaundice symptoms. At present she is symptomatic. Her weight is 54 kg. LFT test is done and the photocopy of the test is attached below. We request you to find an appropriate solution. Thank you.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

#

Without jaundice and mild symptoms, it is difficult to say it as cholecystitis. The pattern of pain is consistent with some kind of obstruction for example stone in the biliary tree or SOD (sphincter of Oddi dysfunction).

For the presence of stone in the biliary tree, we do an ultrasound but cystic duct stones may get missed by this modality, so we do CT scan. For SOD, we do manometry. Sometimes, fatty changes in the liver may cause pain in this area. My advice is please get a CT scan done and also a lipid profile.

| 

My ultrasound was normal, but I have excruciating lower abdominal pain. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38 year old woman. I have been having excruciating pain in my right abdominal area, below my right breast. The pain travels to my back and gets unbearable at times. I have been throwing up today, and my temperature is low since the past five days. This has been going on for a...  Read Full »

How long should Kazharchi Kaai powder be taken for PCOD?

Query: Hello doctor,As I have PCOD problem and also cyst, I take tablets for period. My friend suggested Kalachikai powder. I used it for 30 days continuously, but no use. How many days should I take that powder and how to overcome this problem?  Read Full »

Is surgery needed for acute cholecystitis with cholelithiasis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having right abdominal pain since last five days. I am not getting relief after taking medicines also. My ultrasound says that the gallbladder is distended with a 6.8 mm calculus at the gallbladder neck. The gallbladder wall is 5.6 mm and appears thickened. The gallbladder is fi...  Read Full »