Common "Post Surgical Infection" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Post Surgical Infection

Post-surgical infection occurs when the pathogens get increased in the site of the surgical incision, causing infection. These are called surgical site infections (SSIs), and they occur within 30 days of surgery. They are of three types - 1) Superficial incisional SSI occurs in the area where the incision is made. 2) Deep incisional SSI occurs beneath the incision of the muscle or tissue. 3) Organ or space SSI occurs anywhere in the incisional area of the body other than the skin, muscle, or surrounding tissue. They cause fever, tenderness, and delayed healing with pain.