Q. I have gap in front teeth. Is frenectomy enough or are braces necessary to close it?

Dr. Srinivas Saketh. G
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am scheduled to receive a frenectomy to close the gap in my two front teeth, but I have done some research and it has all told me I need to get braces following the procedure but my dentist told me it was not necessary although my gap is quite large. I was wondering if you could help me understand the process more. Thank you.

#

The frenectomy procedure as such does not close the gap. It involves the removal of fibrous tissue that is present. Then, closure of the gap can be achieved.

The minimal movement to close the gap is with the help of removable appliances like retainers. More movement to close the gap, if required, can only be achieved with braces.

Clinical pictures and radiographic evidence will be necessary to predict the treatment plan and the outcome. Just discuss all your doubts with your dentist and take a good decision.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|