Q. Please suggest a medicine for my baby's gas problem.

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My daughter is 28 days old. She is suffering from gas problem. I am not sure if it is colic pain as she does not cry a lot, but she is struggling to pass gas. She is squeezing her entire body to pass gas and due to this, she is not able to sleep properly. She will wake up in the middle of sleep to pass gas. She does cry sometimes while passing urine, motion and gas. After seeing this, we gave her gripe water for two days of about 0.25 mL when she was 15 days old. I consulted a pediatrician and he suggested Colpep drops 8 drops day and night. We tried this for one week, but we did not see any improvement. So, our pediatrician advised Neopeptine 8 drops day and night along with Colpep in 10 minutes interval. Also, he told to use both drops after breastfeed. I gave this for two days and realized that both medicines looks similar. When I consulted another pediatrician, he said not to give both and only either one of that should be given. I am very confused now and worried as I have already given both drops together for two days. Will it cause any problem to my baby? Please suggest which medicine to give for gas trouble? How long it will take to cure? Can we give gripe water? 

I am really fed up with different opinions from everyone. Is it mandatory to give medicine for gas trouble? I heard it will gradually subside at around 4 to 5 months of age. I feel that we have given too many things to her like Colipep, Neopeptine and gripe water. I feel that she should not get affected by these medicines. Please help me out.

#

• It is a very common problem and can be easily overcome by appropriate feeding practice.
  • Please stop giving gripe water. Give only breastfeeding till 6 months of age and nothing else.
  • Practice burping after each feed to get swallowed air out. For this, keep baby on mother's shoulders after each feed and give gentle taps on back at least for 15 to 20 minutes after each feed. Then, you will hear burping before making the baby to lie down.
  • Neopeptine and Colicaid drops (Simethicone) do help in some, but if you do not observe any change, then just stop them.
  • Let mother take normal, simple diet and avoid foods that might cause gas to mother. Please follow these measures and observe the change. It will help your baby.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

Benefits of Breastfeeding and a Few Tips to New Mothers

Article Overview: There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding, so here are some tips for the new mothers.  Read Article

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
Lactation Counselor

Breastfeeding is the most beautiful thing for the mother and the baby in humans, just as for all mammals. There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding and always a new mother will be in a confused state regarding breastfeeding. Here are some tips for the new mothers. When Should One St...  Read Article

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»