Q. Can drinking too much soda cause gastritis?

I have been drinking soda four times a day instead of drinking water. I did not drink water for a month. I eat a lot of junk food and lots of dairy milk. After a couple of weeks, I noticed a mild stomach discomfort accompanied by excessive belching and passing gas, constipation, pain in the left upper quadrant that sometimes radiates to the chest. There is bloating, pain below the center of the diaphragm, dizziness whenever there is a feeling of pressure in the abdomen and there is back pain. Whenever I squeeze the center of my back I feel the pressure in front of my abdomen, my left side of the ribcage and whenever I press on it I can feel the air bubbles moving in my intestines and there is belching.

Dr. Akant Kaushal
MBBS ., FELLOWSHIP IN APPLIED NUTRITION
Nutritionist

Your symptoms of pain in the left upper quadrant, pain in the diaphragm are all suggestive of gastritis, which is due to over-consumption of junk foods and soda. Drink as much water as you can but not immediately after meals. Try to eat small frequent meals. Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, it will relieve the problem of constipation. Avoid or consume minimal oily and spicy foods. Avoid smoking and drinking. Do some physical activity daily for at least 30 minutes. For a few days, you can take capsule Pantoprazole 40 mg half an hour before breakfast once a day to relieve your acute signs of gastritis.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Also Read Answers From

Ask a General Practitioner »