Q. Can drinking too much soda cause gastritis?

Dr. Akant Kaushal
Published on Jul 11, 2018

I have been drinking soda four times a day instead of drinking water. I did not drink water for a month. I eat a lot of junk food and lots of dairy milk. After a couple of weeks, I noticed a mild stomach discomfort accompanied by excessive belching and passing gas, constipation, pain in the left upper quadrant that sometimes radiates to the chest. There is bloating, pain below the center of the diaphragm, dizziness whenever there is a feeling of pressure in the abdomen and there is back pain. Whenever I squeeze the center of my back I feel the pressure in front of my abdomen, my left side of the ribcage and whenever I press on it I can feel the air bubbles moving in my intestines and there is belching.

Dr. Akant Kaushal

Nutritionist
#

Your symptoms of pain in the left upper quadrant, pain in the diaphragm are all suggestive of gastritis, which is due to over-consumption of junk foods and soda. Drink as much water as you can but not immediately after meals. Try to eat small frequent meals. Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, it will relieve the problem of constipation. Avoid or consume minimal oily and spicy foods. Avoid smoking and drinking. Do some physical activity daily for at least 30 minutes. For a few days, you can take capsule Pantoprazole 40 mg half an hour before breakfast once a day to relieve your acute signs of gastritis.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Would fundoplication help gastritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been struggling with pressure under my ribs and tightness in my chest for 5 years. It is on and off, but mostly it gives me a hard time to come through. I feel hard to belch often. I have taken Esomeprazole and Nexium to keep the reflux down, but the tightness and other awful ...  Read Full »

Taking Pantoprazole for GERD. Is any drug interactions between Pantoprazole and Voltaren?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on 40 mg Pantoprazole twice a day for GERD. I just took 50 mg Voltaren for a bad back and I am worried sick. I checked online and it said no drug interactions. I have not yet taken my nightly dose of Pantoprazole, should I not take it?  Read Full »

Does constipation cause burning sensation in anus?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a burning sensation in anus after bowel movements for past one week. There is no blood discharge and poop was soft. I avoid eating spicy foods. The burning sensation lasts for hours.  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now