Q. I have a loose and solid stool at the same time. Why?

Dr. Bn Bhagat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 30, 2021 and last reviewed on: Aug 20, 2021

What are bowel movements in someone with gastroparesis? I went for a gastro emptying X-ray yesterday from 9:00 AM until 12:00 PM. I had to eat a pancake, but my stomach was not completely emptied. Is this a cause for concern that I may have the disease? And what are bowel movements like with it? I do not have diarrhea or constipation, but I go every morning, and it is loose and solid at the same time. Could I have it? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Usually, bowel movements remain normal in gastroparesis. Gastroparesis is delayed gastric emptying time (different from bowel movement).

Symptoms associated with it include:

1) Feeling full with a reduced amount of food.

2) Abdominal bloating, belching.

3) Heartburn or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) symptoms.

4) Nausea.

5) Reduced appetite.

6) Abdominal pain.

If the above symptoms are present, then it would lead to weight loss, nutrient deficiency. Later as the disease progress, bowel movements change might occur. Risk factors associated with it should be checked out like diabetes, esophageal surgery, certain medications like opioids, neurological conditions like Parkinson's disease. It is an uncommon condition to occur. If you have it or not, your treating doctor will interpret the test and other relevant medical history and discuss it with you. Do not remain occupied by it. Free yourself from this thought. Follow as your treating doctor says.

I hope this was helpful.

Well, my bowel movements have changed, the stool is loose and solid at the same time, and I was on Nexium and Gas-X for a hiatal hernia. I developed the hernia from being squeezed really hard by one friend's boyfriend around my rib cage with his legs 11 years ago. A chiropractor fixed the similar issues I was having, but it feels like the two chiropractors I saw just a few months ago reversed what the one did for me in my previous country. Ever since I went to those chiropractors, I have lost weight. I was 150, and now 115, and I do have some nausea and a reduced appetite.

I am just really upset and concerned. I do not want to have this problem. I was checked out for diabetes last year in the end, but my doctor never told me about it. I had my blood glucose come checked by a meter, and both on a full and empty stomach, my sugar was fine, but I do not even know.

And my doctor would not test me for this because she thinks everything is in my head, and she told me that sending me to different doctors will not help me.

I feel like I am going to die here in this country. I want to move back to my previous country, but I am in too much of a weak state to fly. Kindly help me.

#

Welcome back to ilciniq.com.

Nexium (Esomeprazole) and Gas-X (Simethicone) are antigas medications and not related to this. Please wait for the test result which you underwent yesterday. If it points toward gastroparesis, your treating doctor will rule out or check for risk factors present or not. If you have such symptoms as you have mentioned above, speak to your doctor and get guided as they say. Believe them as they will guide you the best possible.

Tests will not lie, so please wait for the result. I do not know the condition in the state you are residing. However, I wish you good physical and psychological health. I hope this was helpful.

The doctor is not ready to test me. Finding a different doctor here in this country is challenging. Kindly help me.

#

I will suggest you not remain occupied with medical terms and diseases until you have the symptoms. Or else you will be anxious most of the time unnecessarily. Let the doctor examine the symptoms and correlate with other findings to arrive at the diagnosis.

I hope this was helpful.

|