Q. Are the white bumps near vaginal opening due to yeast infection?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta
Published on Jan 19, 2019

I thought I had a yeast infection. So, used Monistat injectable and cream. Itching and discharge have gone but I just noticed raised bumps near vagina opening. I am terrified.

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The lesions appear to be genital herpes. But, do not worry, they are not here to stay. These bumps will gradually fade away within a week. If you are in pain, sit in a saltwater bath, apply ice packs, take Paracetamol. Most of the time, it can be confirmed with a swab test.

How old are the bumps? You may take the following medicine. If less than 72 hours, they will prevent the spread. If more than that, do not worry, your body will make antibodies itself and heal you. Since it is a sexually transmitted disease, my suggestion is to avoid any kind of sexual activity while the lesions are active.

Swab test from lesions for HSV 1 and 2.

Genital herpes.

Tablet Acyclovir 200 mg five times a day for five days.

Regular use of condom, avoid multiple sexual partners.

If recurrent lesions occur, other STDs may be needed to be ruled out.

Are you sure it is herpes? I was hoping it was not that. There has been no pain, oozing or crusting. How long after being exposed do they appear?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It seems quite apparent, but you can always get a swab test if you are in doubt and symptoms are in an early phase. Blood test for IgM HSV 1 and 2 will tell you if you are having an active infection. The incubation period of herpes can range between 2 days to 3 weeks, but most commonly, 3 to 4 days. Did you have unprotected intercourse with anybody in the last few days?

Molluscum contagiosum caused by a pox virus.

I have a small bump under the shaft of penis. Is that genital herpes?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old. My height is 6'1" and weight 163 lbs. I have a small bump under the shaft of my penis. It looks like that it could be from masturbation, but I am not sure. There is no itching or burning. It is not an open sore either. I recently had protected oral sex with a sex worker...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It appears to be a wart (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As you have a history of HPV (human papilloma virus) in the past, the wart should be the first concern. HPV depending on the strain cause both genital and non-genital warts. They are not painfu...  Read Full

What are the preventive measures in case of slippage or breakage of condoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old heterosexual male. I am HIV negative with no known STD. I always have safe sex. I always have very safe sex with girls who are not sex workers. But may have casual sex with others. Generally, I would imagine that they too would be practicing safe sex with their regul...  Read Full >>

Dr. Bharat Udey
Geriatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An unsafe sex increases the chance of contracting STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) as well as HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). As you mentioned that the status of your partners are mostly not known, so this puts you in risk of contracting STD or HIV if you get in...  Read Full

My son suspects to have genital herpes. Is it safe for my pregnant daughter to be near him?

Query: Hello doctor, My 26-year-old son suspects to have genital herpes. He had one outbreak of something in his genitals about six weeks ago but no other symptoms. He has not seen a doctor nor has he had any testing. He does not believe he has it. He is going to spend this weekend with his sister who is ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since there is no evidence of the infection, there is nothing to worry about. However, it is always better to get checked once and take necessary precautions. Just try to avoid sharing the toiletries in case you are suspicious about genital herpes. As the pregnancy is...  Read Full