Q. Are the white bumps near vaginal opening due to yeast infection?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

I thought I had a yeast infection. So, used Monistat injectable and cream. Itching and discharge have gone but I just noticed raised bumps near vagina opening. I am terrified.

#

The lesions appear to be genital herpes. But, do not worry, they are not here to stay. These bumps will gradually fade away within a week. If you are in pain, sit in a saltwater bath, apply ice packs, take Paracetamol. Most of the time, it can be confirmed with a swab test.

How old are the bumps? You may take the following medicine. If less than 72 hours, they will prevent the spread. If more than that, do not worry, your body will make antibodies itself and heal you. Since it is a sexually transmitted disease, my suggestion is to avoid any kind of sexual activity while the lesions are active.

Swab test from lesions for HSV 1 and 2.

Genital herpes.

Tablet Acyclovir 200 mg five times a day for five days.

Regular use of condom, avoid multiple sexual partners.

If recurrent lesions occur, other STDs may be needed to be ruled out.

Are you sure it is herpes? I was hoping it was not that. There has been no pain, oozing or crusting. How long after being exposed do they appear?

#

It seems quite apparent, but you can always get a swab test if you are in doubt and symptoms are in an early phase. Blood test for IgM HSV 1 and 2 will tell you if you are having an active infection. The incubation period of herpes can range between 2 days to 3 weeks, but most commonly, 3 to 4 days. Did you have unprotected intercourse with anybody in the last few days?

Molluscum contagiosum caused by a pox virus.

|