Q. Can you please tell me about the tests to check for sexually transmitted diseases?

Dr. Rajeev Chandra Shekhar Shrivastav
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 03, 2020

I want to know about the tests to check for sexually transmitted disease or not? What kind of test should I go through, a blood test or urine test? Please state the procedure in the description.

#

Chlamydia and gonorrhea and other STD (Sexually transmitted disease) such as HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), syphilis, HPV (human papillomavirus), and hepatitis occur when:

• You are a sexually active girl or woman under age 25.
  • You are a man who has sex with men.
  • When you have had more than one sexual partner.
  • Use intravenous (IV) drugs.

Chlamydia and gonorrhea screening is done either through a urine test or through a swab inside the penis in men or from the cervix in women. The sample is then analyzed in a laboratory.

Pap test: Pap tests, which check the cervix for abnormal cells, are recommended every two years for women between ages 21 and 30. Women age 30 and older can wait three years between Pap tests if their past three tests have been normal.

HPV test: Samples for the HPV test are collected from the cervical canal. This test usually is not offered to women younger than 30 because HPV infections that will ultimately clear up on their own are so common in this age group.

|