Q. I have cluster of bumps on shaft lasting for three days. Please help.

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

I have had an STD for 30 years but it occurs only on the surfaces for every four or five years and only under much stress. I was able to photograph it this time but still cannot see a doctor for a couple of days. I am afraid it will vanish again before I see a doctor. The bumps are in clusters of three on my shaft. It lasts for two or three days and then goes away.

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have seen the photo. (attachment removed to protct patient identity).

It is herpes genitalis. Is it associated with itching or burning sensation? Does your partner suffer from a similar problem? How many episodes per year?

If you have recurrent episodes you should consider oral antiviral medication. Standard treatment for herpes genitalis is Tablet Acyclovir 400 mg three times a day for seven days after meal, Rantac 150 mg before meal twice a day, Fusidic acid 2% cream twice a day can be applied.

Partner treatment is a must. Avoid sexual contact. In case of recurrent episodes patient is given suppressive therapy for more than seven days with a low dose. You said you have STD for 30 years means, have you done STD profile before? If not you should get it done.

In herpes genitalis vesicles appear on the genital area commonly on the glans or shaft of the penis which burst even without touching leaving small clean looking ulcers, which usually heal within seven days. It is associated sometimes with itching or burning sensation.

| 

How to treat genital herpes?

Query: Hi doctor, I have recently contracted genital herpes. I am having an outbreak, which scared me. I have blisters (vesicles) on the penis. I had a blood test done last week and this confirmed it. Please help me.  Read Full »

Is the OraQuick HIV home testing really accurate?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a male who had unprotected intercourse two days ago with a female who had tested negative on Oralquick two months ago. Turns out she has been quite active and I am debating on doing PEP. I can see her on Tuesday and she said will take another test but that will be 96 hours. I can s...  Read Full »

What is Zovirax used for?

Query: Hello doctor, Two years back, I had fever and headache. From then I am having gait and muscle pains. After many tests, doctor suggested EBV test. Results are IgG positive and IgM came negative and then gave Zovirax 800. I am shocked as it is a tablet for HIV. Does my EBV report say that I have HIV...  Read Full »

Ask a Venereologist Now