Q. What is the treatment for itchy skin ulcer in pubic area?

Answered by
Dr. Payal Chauhan
and medically reviewed by Dr.Nithila A
This is a premium question & answer published on May 05, 2019

Hello doctor,

I have a skin ulcer that appeared about a week ago in the pubic area. The initial lesion is now surrounded by four liquid filled bumps that look like they also will become ulcers. A small itchy bump developed into an ulcer in 10 days. Three days between photos at a different stage of the ulcer. Now itches and oozes.I have never had a skin issue like this. My girlfriend thinks it was because my swimsuit was not cleaned for days. We live in a hot, and humid climate overseas. Please recommend medicine.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

1. Looking at the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I could think of two differentials for it and they are pyoderma, a superficial bacterial infection, or herpes genitalis, a disease spread via sexual contact and presents with grouped blisters with pain. 2. Right now treatment for pyoderma is all that you require as even if it is herpes anti-herpetic medications are not needed after 72 hours.

So clean the area with normal soap and water and apply following cream twice a day and take these medications for five days. Kindly consult your doctor and take the treatment with consent.

1. Tablet Cefadroxil 500 mg twice a day.

2. Tablet Fexofenadine 180 mg once a day.

3. Cream Mometasone plus Fusidic acid twice a day.

Get following investigations done if possible, HSV 1 and 2, IgG, and IgM serology.

Thank you doctor,

If it was herpes how long will it be present after the first contact? My girlfriend says she gets a few smaller versions, but I have never had a problem. Could it be in my body for many years? Has it occurred due to low immunity?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

1. Herpes serology might be positive in around 3/4th of the general population as such at any given point of time if that is what you mean by being in the body.

2. If your girlfriend gets similar lesions, it might very well be herpes. Get the herpes serology done, if positive, it will indicate a recent infection.

3. There can be precipitating factors in herpes, like fever or stress, but it can be present without any apparent precipitating factor as well.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
My son suspects to have genital herpes. Is it safe for my pregnant daughter to be near him?

.. is no evidence of the infection, there is nothing to worry about. However, it is always better to get checked once and take necessary precautions. Just try to avoid sharing the toiletries in case you are suspicious about genital herpes. As the pr...   Read full

How to treat genital herpes?

.. thoroughly reviewed your health query and can well establish the sensitivity of issues you have. Thanks for uploading the labs here for reference (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, both HSV-1 and HSV-2 are positive. You also m...   Read full

Can Doxy and Flavospas cause fat loss from the body?

.. to know some more information such as how much weight have you lost in the last four to six months, the presence of any other symptoms like fever, diarrhea, joints pain, recurrent oral or genital ulcer. Was there any ulcer over the scrotum during ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
The Perils of Social Media Addiction
Social media addiction affects both physical and mental health. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
COVID-19 - Second Wave
The second wave of COVID-19 is a red flag. Read more to know about the precautionary measures.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.