Q. What is the treatment for itchy skin ulcer in pubic area?

Dr. Payal Chauhan

I have a skin ulcer that appeared about a week ago in the pubic area. The initial lesion is now surrounded by four liquid filled bumps that look like they also will become ulcers. A small itchy bump developed into an ulcer in 10 days. Three days between photos at a different stage of the ulcer. Now itches and oozes.I have never had a skin issue like this. My girlfriend thinks it was because my swimsuit was not cleaned for days. We live in a hot, and humid climate overseas. Please recommend medicine.

#

1. Looking at the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I could think of two differentials for it and they are pyoderma, a superficial bacterial infection, or herpes genitalis, a disease spread via sexual contact and presents with grouped blisters with pain. 2. Right now treatment for pyoderma is all that you require as even if it is herpes anti-herpetic medications are not needed after 72 hours.

So clean the area with normal soap and water and apply following cream twice a day and take these medications for five days. Kindly consult your doctor and take the treatment with consent.

1. Tablet Cefadroxil 500 mg twice a day.

2. Tablet Fexofenadine 180 mg once a day.

3. Cream Mometasone plus Fusidic acid twice a day.

Get following investigations done if possible, HSV 1 and 2, IgG, and IgM serology.

If it was herpes how long will it be present after the first contact? My girlfriend says she gets a few smaller versions, but I have never had a problem. Could it be in my body for many years? Has it occurred due to low immunity?

#

1. Herpes serology might be positive in around 3/4th of the general population as such at any given point of time if that is what you mean by being in the body.

2. If your girlfriend gets similar lesions, it might very well be herpes. Get the herpes serology done, if positive, it will indicate a recent infection.

3. There can be precipitating factors in herpes, like fever or stress, but it can be present without any apparent precipitating factor as well.

|