Q. Do I need biopsy for genital warts on penile head?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

I was diagnosed with genital warts on the penile head. I was given Imiquimod cream to be applied for 10 to 15 minutes in the morning on alternate days and then wash off. The treatment went on for two months. Warts became lighter but did not go completely. It is definitely better than before.

Do I need a biopsy or should I change to Glizigen cream which another doctor prescribed for two months twice daily?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

Imiquimod is good medicine for genital wart. It has to be applied thrice a week for 16 weeks. If you see results with Imiquimod, I would suggest you stick to Imiquimod and complete the full course.

Other options for genital wart are Podowart application (Podophyllotoxin), cryotherapy with liquid nitrogen, topical TCA (Trichloroacetic acid) application. You can discuss these options with your doctor.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

I apply it in the morning for 10 minutes. Do I need to apply for a longer time or is it fine?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

Apply the cream on the wart and rub it gently till it is absorbed. It should be preferably used during the night before sleeping. You can apply at any time. Clean the area before applying cream and leave the cream till it is absorbed.

| 

Should I leave it for overnight?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

Yes, it should be left on the wart for eight hours. After cleaning the area with a mild soap like Dove, allow it dry. Then apply the cream and leave it over night. Wash again in the morning. Or if you apply in the morning, make sure you leave the cream for eight hours and wash it off.

|