Q. The painless lump on my penis got bigger after the COVID vaccine. Why?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 14, 2021 and last reviewed on: Aug 13, 2021

I have a skin-colored, painless lump on the shaft of my penis. I noticed these before around the shaft of my penis only, and they are painless and squishy with my skin color. They do not appear darker. There are about four of these on the right side of the penis shaft. I had these prior too, but they were smaller and only got bigger after my COVID vaccine. Are these genital warts or something else? Kindly give your opinion.

#

These appear to be genital warts. Could you please tell me if you have any history of unprotected high-risk sexual intercourse? Any discharge from the penis? Any lump in the inguinal area? Since how long these are there?

You have mentioned that the size increases after the COVID vaccine. I do not think there is any relationship. Friction can increase the risk of infection or inflammation in these areas. The sudden increase in size could be due to friction due to recent intercourse or masturbation. Please answer the questions so that I can guide you accordingly.

Yes, I have had unprotected intercourse, but not high-risk. There is no discharge from the penis. There is no lump in my groin area. I believe I have had them for over four years, but they never flared up. The only thing is they are not cauliflower-shaped. Is this a different type of genital wart? How can I cure it? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Since there is no history of high-risk sexual intercourse, we should rule out the most common causes. Genital warts are possible. Have you noticed if these lesions are appearing and going for the last four years, or are these present continuously? Do you have a history of any allergies? Any lesions at any other body area?

I would also advise you to go for few tests like:

1) VDRL (Venereal disease research laboratory) in titer.

2) TPHA (treponema pallidum haemagglutination).

3) Viral markers.

These tests shall help in ruling out common STDs (sexually transmitted diseases). If the tests come negative, then we can think that these could be due to allergic contact dermatitis, which could occur even due to underwear also. I hope this was helpful.

|