Q. Can an ulcer cause severe stomach pains?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was diagnosed with an ulcer a couple of years ago. I watch what I eat so not to aggravate it, but I woke up early this morning having horrible stomach pains all over the midsection.

What could be going on?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

Your stomach pain is mainly due to the stomach ulcer.

Based on the location of the ulcer in the gastrointestinal tract, it can be classified into two types:

1. One which causes severe pain after having food, which is typical of gastric ulcer.
  2. The second is a duodenal ulcer in which the patient complains of pain on hunger or fasting.

I request you to attach a copy of the endoscopy report to have a proper idea about it.

I suggest taking syrup Sucralfate 10 ml early in the morning before food and tablet Pantop (Pantoprazole) 40 mg once daily early in the morning after getting up from the bed, as these will reduce the acid secretion.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|