Q. I have GERD and get frequent abdominal discomfort even after treatment. Why?

Dr. Kapil Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 21, 2021

I have GERD and treating it for over a year, and it is pretty manageable. I did a couple of Prilosec courses as per the doctor's instructions. I did periodic Zantac for a while and made significant diet changes (cutting trigger foods, smaller portions, not eating late). I do not smoke, and I am not overweight.

Nonetheless, I have frequent (every day or two) discomfort as the balance is still delicate, and if I eat a little too much or too rich or too late drink after a meal, I get some heartburn or mild gut pain, which usually goes away an hour or a few hours later with some burping.

My question is: am I damaging myself or doing harm to my gut when I feel those discomforts? I can tolerate it and would rather do so than take medicines habitually. But I want to be sure I am not hurting my organs.

#

The symptoms you have described are mild to moderate GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), which can be well managed with medicines and lifestyle management.

I would suggest continuing Prilosec as it decreases the stomach's acidic content and prevents damage to your esophagus or the food pipe. If Prilosec does not work, try syrup Sucralfate 30 minutes before you take the Prilosec tablet.

Focus on lifestyle management more effectively. Decrease your caffeine content and the other trigger foods that you have identified previously.

And have you ever gotten an endoscopy done previously? If yes, please share the report.

|