Q. I suffer throat and nose irritation with fever. Is it sinus infection?

Dr. Medhun Kumar
Published on Jan 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2020

I have been sick off and on for about two months. First, my throat started hurting then my nose was stuffy. That went on for about two weeks. The doctor told me I probably had a cold. A week later, I got a stomach virus. A week later, that went away my throats started to hurt again. A couple of days later, the nose felt irritated. The doctor suggested I had a sinus infection and gave me antibiotics. I took my antibiotics for sinus infection, but now it is all starting to happen again. I know it is not allergies either because my allergies have never bothered me this bad and I am running fevers. What is wrong with me? I had mono infection a month before this sickness began. Do not tell me that mono will affect me for the rest of my life. I just want all of this to end. Please help me.

Dr. Medhun Kumar

General Practitioner General Surgery
#

I went through your summary. Sorry for your suffering. My best guess probably you are suffering from GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). Before making that diagnosis I need few more information regarding your ailment. Any particular aggravating factors for your illness such as after food or drinks or following a heavy meal? Do you have any associated heart burn, belching, or digestion difficulty? How long you are on OCP (oral contraceptive) medication? Recent stress (work or studies)?

Because all these can cause gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD). That is acid in your stomach reflux back to the throat. That sometimes causes a recurrent cold mimicking sinus infection. You need to take antacids, prokinetics, and proton pump inhibitors.

Stress or drug-induced.

UGI scopy (upper gastro intestinal endoscopy).

GERD.

PPI (proton pump inhibitors) and Prokinetics.

Avoid stress, avoid spicy food and heavy meal. Avoid drugs, smoking, and drinks.

| 

What has to be done for fever and chills in 3 years 6 months old child?

Query: Hello doctor, Fever and chills in a child of age 3 years 6 months. A mild cough is also noticed. What can I do?  Read Full »

I have GERD. Can you suggest any treament?

Query: Hello Doctor, I have been suffering from stomach ulcer for the past 2 years. Till now the ulcer was not severe, but since few days I have been having stomach pain everytime after having food. Doctor diagnosed that, I have GERD. But even then I faced GERD problems rarely. But for the past 3 weeks ...  Read Full »

I have GERD and feel a lump under Adam's apple. Is it serious?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I have GERD since a few years as the doctor told me after a diagnosis where he took the camera inside the food pipe. Anyway, I used to smoke then I quit but recently I smoked a bit when I was in holiday, after coming back from holidays I am getting a lump like feeling ...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now