Q. Is pain and burning sensation in the abdomen due to GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)?

Dr. Shubadeep Debabrata Sinha

My father has pain and burning sensation in the lower right abdomen, gas, constipation, and urine retention. He is taking antacids and Ciprofloxacin. He also had a CBC and an ultrasound scan of the bladder done. Kindly suggest the reason for his complaints.

#

Thank you for your query. I understand your concern. The mentioned symptoms are observed in multiple gastrointestinal conditions such as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), peptic ulcer, or upper GI (gastrointestinal) acidity. I suggest your father undergo USG (ultrasonography) abdomen, or CT (computed tomography) scan abdomen, or an upper gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy to rule out upper gastrointestinal illnesses.

The symptoms of pain in the lower quadrant and constipation can be caused by conditions like irritable bowel syndrome, appendicitis (rarely), biliary obstruction, or cancerous or non-cancerous lesions of the colon. For the diagnosis, a USG abdomen or pelvis should be performed. Also, share details of the prescription medicines your father is currently using.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|