Q. I have stomach problem and I am on diabetic drugs for the past four months. Please help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 29, 2020

My stomach is not well. I also take sugar tablet Vinglyn M 1000 for the last four months and BP tablet Telkonol-AM for the last one month. I have attached the x-ray.

#

I have seen you ultrasound abdomen report, that seems normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Kindly let me know for how long your have diabetes? Since it is very important to know its duration and basically control of that diabetes in those past years.

I can see only FBS 113 mg/dl in the document which you sent. I am more interested in the HBA1c levels (glycated hemoglobin), and HOMA IR value, which can be calculated by serum sugar and serum insulin at one time. Kindly share those if present.

Diabetes is notorious to cause diabetic gastroparesis, which means the slowing of stomach secondary to chronic diabetes. This can frequently cause gas problems. But it is only one condition in diabetes, there are others relatively less frequent however, such as small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), chronic small intestinal pseudo-obstruction, and lastly IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and functional bloating and gas. There are foods called FODMAPs which can cause excessive gases.

I may be able if have the opportunity to inquire and know about overall your health. There are a series of questions that are to be asked and answered before I can reach to a judgment about the cause of your symptoms. And, only then I can be able to recommend some target investigations and treatment.

Diabetic gastroparesis. SIBO. SIPOS. IBS. Functional bloating and gas. Carbohydrate malabsorption.

Once I make some reasonable conclusive diagnosis.

Follow up to provide more information.

|