Q. The gestational age in scan is different from the weeks when calculated from my LMP. Why?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

I am 27 years old and pregnant. My last period was two months back but the baby only shows six weeks and three days gestation as of today with a heart rate of 77. I have a picture of my ultrasound from today and I was hoping you could explain what it was showing.

#

For a lady, with regular periods previously, generally ovulation occurs around 14th day of the cycle, so fertilization can take place only after that. In your case (if your periods are regular), you ovulated around 22nd two months back and fertilization took place only after that. So originally, the baby will always be two weeks less than what is calculated by LMP.

Secondly, first-trimester USG can have an error of up to seven days while second and third trimester up to 2 and 3 weeks respectively, so do not worry if the calculation and USG are not exactly the same.

| 

Had an emergency contraceptive pill after sex. Can I be pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 years old and my menstrual cycle is generally of 30 days. Last month I had sex with my boyfriend on just after 2 days of my periods. Though we used condoms but I felt as if it was leaking so to be double sure I took one Unwanted 72 in 23 hours. Now, I am 13 days late for my period...  Read Full »

How to find out if an ECP used 72 hours after unprotected intercourse was effective?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected intercourse with my fiance during the first week of last month. Same week, within few days she complained about vomiting sensation but had no vomiting. Immediately the next day she had a little discharge from vagina and a little menstrual cramp. Her last menstrual perio...  Read Full »

The doctor cannot find the baby's heartbeat. Should I be concerned?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 49 days pregnant. Today we met our doctor. He said that the fetal size is 0.63 cm, but still, there is no heartbeat felt. The doctor asked us to wait for one more week. Is it normal? Please clarify my doubt. My wife is worried about this. This is our second baby.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»