Q. Had an emergency contraceptive pill after sex. Can I be pregnant?

Published on Mar 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 21 years old and my menstrual cycle is generally of 30 days. Last month I had sex with my boyfriend on just after 2 days of my periods. Though we used condoms but I felt as if it was leaking so to be double sure I took one Unwanted 72 in 23 hours. Now, I am 13 days late for my periods. I am getting muscle cramps and whenever I rush to the washroom to see I just find white liquid discharge. I have no other specific symptoms. I took two home pregnancy tests and both are negative. I am afraid. Can I be pregnant? If yes then how can I abort? And if no then why am I not getting my periods? Please help.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

As you had taken one Unwanted 72 within 24 hours after the intercourse, you must have received a withdrawal bleed after 5-7 days. If yes, then the date of the withdrawal bleed would form your fresh LMP (last menstrual period) and you should be starting your count for next menses from that date.

As the pregnancy tests are negative, you are not pregnant from that sexual encounter. Hence, considering the possible withdrawal bleed your next menses should start only by now.

As you have started experiencing mild cramping and vaginal mucoid discharge which are part of PMS (premenstrual syndrome), it is indicative that you will start your menses soon.

Hence, please be patient for another one week and you will get your menses.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I do not really remember if I had any bleeding. Moreover white discharge is something which I am constantly getting for the past 10 days.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• If there was no bleeding and now the pregnancy test is negative then you can safely opt for a withdrawal bleed with Progesterones to allow resumption of your menses.

| 

Is Unwanted-72 effective when taken an hour after unprotected sex?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife had Unwanted-72 an hour after unprotected sex. Would it protect her from an unwanted pregnancy?  Read Full »

Why am I having black or brown discharge instead of my periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 22 years old. I have to get my periods this week. But I am getting black or brown discharge. Is this normal?  Read Full »

Why do I have abdominal pain after unprotected sex?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex 19 days back. My period is always regular and my expected date was in the first week the following month. I had uneasiness and fatigue by the end of last month. Left side upper abdominal pain started a week back. It comes occasionally and goes on its own. Occasionall...  Read Full »