Last Menstrual Period

Why is my gestational age a week more than my last menstrual period?

Query: Hi, My last periods was 4 weeks 5 days back, and I discovered that I am pregnant when I checked using the home test. However when we went for a scan today the doc says the sac measures 1.75 cms and it is 5 weeks 5 days. Why is there a difference of one week when from last period which is 4 weeks 5 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hello Momo, Welcome to Icliniq. There is nothing to be worried about in this calculation as it's just the machine readings. you can just follow your actual dates for gestational age calculations. As per your dates your gestational age is 4wks 5days. You mentioned that Gestational sac diameter is 1...  Read Full »

How can I figure out my conception date?

Query: Hello doctor, How can I figure out my conception date? My last menstrual period was three months back. I had my dating ultrasound and it put the GA at 9 weeks and 3 days. Also there was a CRL measurement of 26.96. My due date based on LMP and ultrasound are different. Please answer. Also how many "...  Read Full »

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of let me tell you that if your menses is coming every month with 2-3 days here or there then it is absolutely normal cycle. Now in normal cycle ovulation occurs in the middle of the cycle (around 12-18th day of cycle) when conception can actually happen. Fir...  Read Full »

Will change in LMP date imply false result in double screening test?

Query: Hello doctor, My menstrual date was on the 4th of the previous month, and I got married in the same month. This my pregnancy test becomes positive and during my abdominal scan doctor said that my baby's NT rate is 3.17 and the nasal bone is short. Five days later again I have done a scan in that my...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). During the first scan, your baby was 11 weeks and the NT (nuchal translucency) was 3.17. That was a high value but it has been seen in nine out of ten babies with thickness 2.5-3.5 mm at 11...  Read Full »

Is PCOS the reason for not having periods, hirsutism and acne?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27-year-old virgin female. I got my period five years back and then again 40 days after that and no periods after that. My prolactin was 30.8 and insulin was 10 (within range). My TSH was also normal when I got it tested. Also, I had PCOS. Ultrasound and everything are normal. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Your prolactin is normal and also it is a good sign that TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is normal. What I did not get from your query though, was whether you have PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) or it has been ruled out. Because all yo...  Read Full »

My last period was six months back, and I have back pain and stomach cramps. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a 28-day cycle my last menstrual was six months before. I have been having lower stomach cramps, lower back cramps in thighs and calf cramps. My husband ejaculated in me on the very next month, kindly tell me what is going on?  Read Full »

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, please rule out urinary tract infection by doing urine routine examination and culture sensitivity. There may be many other causes of chronic pelvic pain. 1. Ovulation pain occurs mid-cycle but self-limiting. 2. Endometriosis may cause severe painful...  Read Full »

Why is my gestation age different from last menstrual period?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 27 years old and pregnant. My last period was two months back but the baby only shows six weeks and three days gestation as of today with a heart rate of 77. I have a picture of my ultrasound from today and I was hoping you could explain what it was showing.  Read Full »

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For a lady, with regular periods previously, generally ovulation occurs around 14th day of the cycle, so fertilization can take place only after that. In your case (if your periods are regular), you ovulated around 22nd two months back and fertilization took place only ...  Read Full »

How to calculate the gestational age accurately?

Query: Hi doctor, My CRL is 5.18 cm. How old is my baby now? How can I get my gestational age accurately?  Read Full »

Dr. Chitrangada

Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The CRL of 5.18 cm corresponds to 11 to 12 weeks of gestation. A difference of two to three days is possible depending on the position of the baby and the measurement of the caliper placement. Ideally, we recommend a first scan to know the exact dating and to calculate ...  Read Full »