Q. When exactly does the pregnancy symptoms arise after unprotected sex?

Published on Jun 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 14, 2019

I had unprotected intercourse with my fiance during the first week of last month. Same week, within few days she complained about vomiting sensation but had no vomiting. Immediately the next day she had a little discharge from vagina and a little menstrual cramp. Her last menstrual period was in the last week, two months back. The local gynecologist told it is because of gas and gave an antibiotic tablet, multivitamin syrup and gas related tablet. The following day, early morning she felt headache and a body ache. Is it something to be worried about? Is she pregnant? When do the earliest symptoms of pregnancy come up?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

These are not pregnancy symptoms, but rather they are symptoms of ovulation with mild abdominal ache, nausea, headache, bloating and thin mucus discharge from vagina.

As her last menstrual period (LMP) was in the last week, two months back. So, it is day16 today. Hence in a 30 day cycle, this is the time for ovulation.

As you had sex in the first week the following month, still she can be considered in her fertile period and hence an emergency contraceptive is advisable to be taken in 72 hours in your case to prevent pregnancy.

However, the earliest you can detect pregnancy would be after 7 days post-intercourse with a serum beta-hCG test. If it shows the level of hCG more than 5 ng/dL then shall confirm pregnancy. Otherwise, she would be pregnancy safe.

But, at present these are ovulation signs.

Revert back after the test to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

She did not take any contraceptive within 72 hours. Can she continue with gas tablets and antibiotics?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• She should stop the gas and antibiotics as they have no role to play.
  • But if your concern is pregnancy, then she should immediately take an emergency contraceptive like an i-pill to stay protected from pregnancy.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

It is more than 72 hours now. Will it provide any help now?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It is better to take it and then think about it as it has been just 2 days that she has been experiencing these ovulatory symptoms.

So, even if she takes it today it should be effective for her.

• Sperms can stay alive in female genital tract for 72 hours. One has to be careful about it and hence she should be taking it today to prevent any implantation if fertilization has already occurred.
  • A withdrawal bleed within 5-7 days post i-pill intake shall rule out pregnancy safely.
  • But considering the present situation, there are high chances that she may get pregnant this time.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

She will be taking it today. But, as you said the symptoms are not at all of pregnancy and she is not having any other symptoms. We are not even sure that the ejaculation was inside or not. Most probably not. Is it still high risk that she can get pregnant? And what dosage of i-pill to be given? How many times and after or before food? Kindly suggest.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

As it was an unprotected intercourse, even the pre-cum can actually cause pregnancy.

The fact that she was in her fertile period makes her more susceptible for pregnancy. Hence, advised to take emergency contraceptive pill.

She can always wait for missing her periods and then can get a urine pregnancy test after 7 days after the missed periods and check if pregnancy is ruled out (that is the normal way).

• But, here we would like to avoid any chances of pregnancy and hence this is an over kill protection which is being followed.
  • Just wait for a withdrawal bleed after 5-7 days which shall rule out pregnancy confirmatively.

Are there any side effects of i-pill and what if there is no bleeding after 5-7 days? Will she have her regular periods mid of this month if she takes pill? And the symptoms I told you about, she never experienced it before. She is experiencing it for the first time. So, in conclusion she will take i-pill today. But, as of now symptoms do not indicate of pregnancy right?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It is too early to comment on pregnancy status as of now simply, because it is the third day post-intercourse and it takes 3 days to fertilize and 5 days to implant in uterus.

So, the symptoms are because of ovulation where progesterone levels are increased and estrogen goes down with ovulation.

• The withdrawal bleed which shall occur after 5-7 days would become her fresh LMP.
  • She would then get her next menses after a month post the withdrawal bleed and not on the day you had predicted.

Also there is a possibility that next 2-3 menses following withdrawal bleed may be delayed as well by 7-10 days but that is normal.

If she does not get a withdrawal bleed even till 10 days post i-pill intake, then she should get a serum beta-hCG test done to rule out pregnancy, as in that case this may be a failed attempt and she may be pregnant then.

So go ahead with the pill and importantly keep her well hydrated till bleeding occurs as this is a progesterone pill and can cause dehydration and dizziness often. So, hydration is important.

Follow up after the test to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

My fiance is still having mild headache since morning. How long does this ovulation symptoms prevail? Other symptoms are not there. No bleeding burps or pain present. It is just headache now.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Has she taken the i-pill? If yes then fine and the headache shall subside with hydration.
  • Ovulation symptoms generally last for 2-3 days and may be accompanied with ovulatory spotting sometimes.
  • She may use a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) like tablet Paracetamol 500 mg stat to decrease the headache. But, water is the key anyhow.

After I-pill, I had a flow but it was not heavy. What is the chance of pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I need an urgent help. I was on my fifth day of my periods and I made out with my partner. I had my pants and my panty on and he had his penis out. He ejaculated on my pant, and I saw that some portion of my panty was wet as well. And I felt wet in the skin of the lower portion of abd...  Read Full »

Does a contraceptive pill affect periods?

Query: Hi doctor, Are contraceptive pills safe to take? Does it affect periods? Does taking contraceptive pills completely reduce the chances of pregnancy or is there still some chance? Is it completely safe to take it even if having intercourse very occasionally? Or is there some other better way to avo...  Read Full »