Q. What could be the reason for giddiness and high BP?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
Published on May 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 22 years old. My weight is 70 kg and height is 5'6". I have some giddiness problem for the past two years. Doctors termed it as excessive stress, anxiety and tension. Before four months I had giddiness and high BP. Then at times I feel like taking long breaths and weakness in legs. More in left leg than the right. I cannot stand for long, but still walk regularly. Mentally I have become weak and now slowly improving on it. I had homeopathy medication before and stopper two weeks ago. For BP had medicine 10 days. Before three months, doctor advised for basic blood test such as CBC and ESR, which were normal.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through all the data you have posted. Some things are important in what you said.

• First diagnosis of hypertension HTN at 22 years of age has to be seriously looked into unless there is strong family history for the same.
  • For the diagnosis of HTN three office recordings at different hospital visits, each visit mean value of three recordings if more than 140/90 mmHg and patient should not drink tea or smoke within 5 minutes of blood pressure measurement.
  • If your diagnosis of HTN was true, then further investigation is necessary to rule out secondary causes of hypertension.
  • Hypertension and weakness of legs may be because of hypokalemia (low potassium level). Kindly do serum potassium levels.
  • Kindly start with lifestyle changes like low salt in diet, avoid pickles, stop alcohol or smoking if you have habit of and do regular physical activity.
  • Regarding weakness of legs, we need more description where exactly the problem is. Weakness has to be muscular or neurological in nature.
  • If neurologic then symptoms will be like dragging pain lower back to foot, slippage of slippers while walking, feeling unstable while walking.
  • If weakness is muscular then you may have difficulty in getting up from squatting position and cramps like pain.
  • Please feel relaxed and this is not the age for any major problems to exist. We think of all the possibilities just to be sure we should not miss anything major. Do meditation or yoga to decrease tension.
  • You need to do lipid profile, serum potassium and get back to me with reports and mention more regarding the problems if any.

Revert back with the reports to an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Are my weakness and confusion due to low sugar or stroke?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suddenly feeling faint, weak, shaking, confused, and as if moving in slow motion. It has been going on for nearly 24 hours. Is this low blood sugar or stroke?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This could be a sign of: Dehydration. Urinary tract infection. Excessive fatigue. Alcohol. Marijuana and other substances intoxication or withdrawal. Postictal state (seizure). Electrolyte disturbances. Others would also include infection of the cen...  Read Full

What does grade 1 diastolic dysfunction in echocardiogram indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I have anxiety for the last five months. Recently, I had an echocardiogram, it says grade 1 diastolic dysfunction of the left ventricle with E/A ratio 0.7. Rest other parameters of the echo are fine. Sometimes my diastolic BP goes to 90 due to anxiety. Can you please tell what is this...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Diastolic dysfunction in the echo is, in fact, abnormal function of the left ventricle during relaxation phase that is diastole (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It occurs when left ventricle muscle is hypertrophied due to increased blood pressure. Gr...  Read Full

Hypertension and Skipping Anti-Hypertensive Pills - A Small Step Towards a Big Mistake

Article Overview: This article tells about the misconceptions prevalent among people against having anti-hypertensive pills.  Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Blood Pressure and Symptoms - A Gist : Blood pressure is basically the pressure faced by the walls of the blood vessels when the blood is ejected from the heart with a level of force. Under normal circumstances this force is essential for the blood to circulate well in the body. Raised blood pressur...  Read Article