Q. Are weakness and head spinning with low BP signs of neurological problems?

Dr. Prakashkumar P Bhatt
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 21, 2020

I am 76 years old. All my routine checks are normal except that my BP remains low many times 100/60. I feel weak, and my head is felt like rotating. Is it related to some neuro problems? Kindly advise.

Dr. Prakashkumar P Bhatt

General Medicine Internal Medicine Neurology
#

Your symptoms of low BP (blood pressure) and rotating sensation of the head can be related to a neurological problem.

I need answers to the following questions.

Do you have constipation or loose motion? Any slowness in walking and movements? Have you checked your diabetes (blood sugar) report? Since how long head rotating sensation? Any history of headache, ringing in the ear, or vomiting?

| 

Yes, I have constipation, gastric problems, and a Bawaseer patient earlier, but now it is fine. I face slowness while walking. Blood sugar is normal. My head rotation has been felt for the last two years, and it increased when I walk. I had ear pain, and when I used to travel, ear ringing and pain were noticed in the past.

Dr. Prakashkumar P Bhatt

#

I have seen your blood tests (attachment removed to protect patient identity), those are alright. I feel it is an age-related issue as it is associated with other problems like constipation. But as head rotating increases with walking, it might be related to your low blood pressure.

Please do the following tests:

1. Blood pressure measurements on lying down and after 3 minutes of standing and compare both BP reading for significant difference (if the difference is higher than 20/10 mmHg, then it is significant).

2. Check your blood sugar FBS (fasting blood sugar), PPBS (post-prandial blood sugar), HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin).

3. Check your thyroid level (TSH).

Precautions:

1. Get up from bed very slowly.

2. Do not be in a hurry.

3. Take your time in walking.

4. Do the regular physical exercise as per your strength.

5. Take a little more salt in the diet compared to the current intake.

Hydrate yourself with healthy liquids like fresh fruit juices, veg soup, and herbal syrups. Apply crepe bandages to calves during resting time as per your convenience.

If not getting relief, then we have to look for Parkinson's disease and other problems.

|