Q. My suture for alloderm gum graft become loose with little discomfort. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

I had alloderm gum graft surgery on July 2nd. The sutures are nondissolvable. They became loss yesterday and this morning I noticed that the edge of a suture is loose. There is no bleeding and a very mild discomfort. The facial swelling has resolved. I do not have a fever. The gum is red and puffy to me and the whitish graft is visible. My dentist did indicate that they put 30% extra graft. Should I be concerned?

#

I had gone through your question I can understand your concern. If the gap between graft and the normal gingival tissue is not visible then there is no issue. If there is a breach between two you will need the doctor consultation. Because you have not uploaded any picture, I cannot estimate the gap between the graft and normal tissue.

Usually, sutures are taken off by 8-12 days, your sutures are seven days older and I think there is no need to worry. In case, there is active bleeding or color change or even gap between the two tissues. Please let me know or contact your periodontist.

|