Q. What causes the sensation of something stuck in throat?

Dr. Surabhi Chopra
Published on Sep 28, 2019

Why do I always need to keep tensing my throat as if something is stuck?

Dr. Surabhi Chopra

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

What you are describing is known as a globus sensation. This is defined as the persistent or intermittent sensation of a lump or foreign body in the throat for at least 12 weeks. The most common causes would be gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), abnormalities of the upper esophageal sphincter (UES), psychologic and psychiatric disorders, and stress.

I would suggest an evaluation with an upper endoscopy as a more comprehensive evaluation for anatomic abnormalities. A 24-hr pH study can also be considered to definitively rule in or out GERD. If the GI workup is not revealing, you may want to be evaluated by an ENT specialist to see if there are any upper esophageal sphincter disorders.

Reflux is treatable by starting antacids, taking smaller meals, avoiding spicy, oily and junk foods, avoiding late night meals, avoid stress and anxiety, raising the head of your pillow by 6 to 8 inches.

Is it safe to continue taking the Nexium beyond two weeks while pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I am six weeks pregnant. I have struggled with GERD and esophagitis for years and my gastroenterologist put me on Nexium, which is the only thing that helps. I usually do a two-week treatment every year. My pregnancy is exacerbating the GERD. I just finished a two-week Nexium treatment a...  Read Full »

Why am I having hair in throat sensation?

Query: Hello doctor,For the last five months, I have had problems with my throat, left side. I have a hair-in-throat feeling that will not go away. I have been to two ENT already. The first one did not do any tests and just prescribed Penicillin, assuming strep. Later on I did develop an infection, which c...  Read Full »

Why is there diarrhea and burps in a GERD patient?

Query: Hello doctor, My doctor, a long time ago, said that I have GERD. It is an acid reflux condition. I get really disgusting burps that taste like rotten eggs and I get diarrhea. That will go on for about three hours and then I throw up and I feel fine. I take acid reducers but I still end up getting i...  Read Full »