Q. What causes the sensation of something stuck in throat?

Dr. Surabhi Chopra

Why do I always need to keep tensing my throat as if something is stuck?

#

What you are describing is known as a globus sensation. This is defined as the persistent or intermittent sensation of a lump or foreign body in the throat for at least 12 weeks. The most common causes would be gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), abnormalities of the upper esophageal sphincter (UES), psychologic and psychiatric disorders, and stress.

I would suggest an evaluation with an upper endoscopy as a more comprehensive evaluation for anatomic abnormalities. A 24-hr pH study can also be considered to definitively rule in or out GERD. If the GI workup is not revealing, you may want to be evaluated by an ENT specialist to see if there are any upper esophageal sphincter disorders.

Reflux is treatable by starting antacids, taking smaller meals, avoiding spicy, oily and junk foods, avoiding late night meals, avoid stress and anxiety, raising the head of your pillow by 6 to 8 inches.

|