Q. I have oral thrush, and I feel a pop in my throat when I swallow. Please help.

Dr. Syed Tehmid
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 18, 2021

I am 20 years old. I am a heavy smoker for a year. I feel a pop in my throat. When I swallow, it comes and goes. I have stopped smoking for a week. I believe it as an oral thrush as I have bad breath and some white stuff is present on my tongue. I also have a dry mouth and a loss of appetite. I feel uncomfortable when I swallow. I have done a chest X-ray and checked my oxygen levels. It was good. I have acid reflux every day. I have done a swab test for infections and the results came negative. I need your opinion at this point.

#

Please mention the meaning of pop while swallowing. Please mention whether your food gets stuck while swallowing. Please mention whether you have difficulty in swallowing. Please attach the picture of the white lesions. Please mention whether these white patches disappear on their own or it persists.

I have difficulty in swallowing. I feel to have a pop in my throat while swallowing and it is uncomfortable. It comes and goes when my throat becomes dry.

#

I have attached the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have a white coating. It is due to oral candidiasis. The symptoms of bad breath, sore throat and mouth, difficulty in swallowing, and dry mouth are due to oropharyngeal candidiasis. Smoking and stress are the precipitating factors of thrush. Please mention whether you are taking any medication. Please mention whether you have done a swab test for the throat. Please mention whether you have tested the scrapings from the tongue. Please mention whether you have taken any antifungals. Acid reflux can worsen these symptoms.

My concern is about the pop. I have difficulty in swallowing liquids or when swallowing normally. I have this problem when my throat is dry.

#

It seems like a globus sensation. I suggest you take lozenges. It helps to ease the dryness. Keep taking sips of water. You can do a fasting blood sugar. You can take a combination medicine of Pantoprazole and Domperidone for acid reflux. You can also use an antifungal ointment like Clotrimazole mouth paint. If the sensation does not resolves, then you need to do an endoscopic examination of the throat. Avoid smoking and taking hot foods, fried foods, and spicy foods. Take more bland diet.

|