Globus Pharyngis

My mom always feels some irritation in her throat. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, This query is for my mother. All the time she feels something stuck in her throat. The test we already done are endoscopy and scan. But, nothing abnormal has been revealed. She is still suffering from throat irritation feeling. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Feeling something stuck in throat like foreign body sensation is common in females and is called as globus pharyngis (some constant feeling of obstruction in throat). It is very common and nothing much to worry.  It is supposed to be caused due to acidity and gastric re...  Read Full »

Why do I always feel that something is stuck in my throat?

Query: Hello doctor, Why do I always need to keep tensing my throat as if something is stuck?  Read Full »

Dr. Surabhi Chopra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. What you are describing is known as a globus sensation. This is defined as the persistent or intermittent sensation of a lump or foreign body in the throat for at least 12 weeks. The most common causes would be gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), abnormalities of th...  Read Full »

I have throat pain, but there is no actual swelling. How to treat this?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old female. My symptoms are as follows: Intense throat pain while swallowing saliva. The pain radiates to the ear and sometimes, head and gives me a headache. Dry throat, especially in the area of pain. I also have a feeling of swelling in the throat, but the doctor said th...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It does not look like you got any malignancy to be worried. It does look like throat sore. Additionally, you might be having globus, which gives a feeling of throat swelling. I would suggest you to do gargles as prescribed and Benzydamine should help. Also, I suggest mul...  Read Full »

Other than acid reflux, what can cause inflammation and irritation of throat?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been having some issues with my throat and esophagus. I have seen an ENT specialist and he said that I had a lot of inflammation in my esophagus, but did not seem to say anything else other than it may be the acid reflux. But, the way I feel and a lot of the other symptoms that have...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms described by you match the presentations of globus pharyngeus or laryngopharyngeal reflux. Laryngopharyngeal reflux, like the one that occurs at the stomach-esophageal junction, occurs in the region of the neck due to the presence of some acid producing ...  Read Full »

I am facing problem on back wall of throat. Kindly help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am facing some problem in my throat for about two months now. It is something that always present in the back wall of the throat. But there is no pain but sometimes it feels in the upper esophagus, other time it feels on the back wall of the throat. My ENT doctor examined my throat and...  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and all the blood reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and they are all normal. Your CT (computed tomography) scan basically rules out any mass lesion in your neck or throat. The problem you are suffering from is know...  Read Full »

Why is my mother having throat pain for the past six months?

Query: ‏Hi doctor, My mother is suffering from severe pain in the throat since the past six months. We have been to a lot of physicians, and most of them seem to think it is a sore throat. But, the sore throat medications are not helping. One doctor suggested that the throat pain has got something to do ...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your mother seems to suffer from reflux laryngitis. Like the doctor said, it is the inflammation due to excessive production of acid by acid cells in the pharynx, which causes the acid to reflux into the larynx and cause chronic throat irritation. It produces a foreig...  Read Full »

Why am I feeling a lump in throat while swallowing?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 years old. I had a bad cold back before five months. After self-examination of my throat, I noticed a row of growths under my palatine tonsils, right beside my lingual tonsils. I had visited an ENT doctor and the specialist insisted that they were just harmless lingual tonsils an...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me assure you, you have nothing to worry. Relax, because you have stress. Yes, that is the only thing you have got and it is not just stress, it is very harmful. Stress can cause all symptoms you currently have. For example, it causes increased acid release in the s...  Read Full »