Q. Does Glucosamine have any side effects?

Dr. Lokesh
Published on Jan 04, 2018

My mother has primary symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. She takes Methotrexate 10 mg weekly and for her heart, she takes Nebicard 5 mg and Caat 20 mg. She has no flaring of her symptoms but random mild joint pain occasionally.

I would like to know:

• Is she in remission?
  • How do you define true remission?
  • I give my mother additional supplement of Glucosamine. Does this have any adverse reaction with Nebicard 5 mg and Caat 20 mg.
  • Are there any side effect of Glucosamine and kindly suggest doses of Glucosamine.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

Yes, she is in remission.

It is defined as clinically or less joint pain and/or swelling with no morning stiffness. I suggest she can take Glucosamine.

There is no interaction with the other drugs that she is taking,

Common side effects of Glucosamine are diarrhea, constipation, nausea and abdominal gases.

The dosage of glucosamine is 750 mg twice daily after food. However, consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicine.

This is only a second opinion platform.

This professional advice provided by me stands subject to the actual examination of report or image and is based entirely on inputs provided to me. It should be correlated with clinical findings.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

How do I manage my rheumatoid arthritis until I wait for my specialist?

Query: Hello doctor, My primary care physician said that I may have RA. My ESR rate was 27, my CRP was 14.1 and my CCP antibody IgG was 500. What does this mean? I have heard a high CCP result could indicate more aggression in my RA, if that is what I have.  Read Full »

What can be done to slow the disease progression in ankylosing spondylitis?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis from two years. Can you please tell me whether there are chances to slow the disease progression and how?  Read Full »

What is the treatment for rheumatoid arthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I have swelling on ankles, elbows and some fingers along with deformity in right wrist. Currently, I am taking ayurvedic medication. I need consultation.  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now