Gout

Even after quitting Allopurinol, I have swelling and pain in toe and finger joints. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 40 years old with no history of hypertension, Gout family history, diabetics, kidney disease and no medical drug usage. My BMI: 28.2. Triglycerides: 292 (high). Fasting glucose level: 104. HDL: 31. LDL: 166. I have my first experience of Gout attack at my first joint ...  Read Full »

Dr. Peter Grutas

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of gout is unclear but seems to be multifactorial which includes a combination of genetic, hormonal, metabolic, and dietary factors. Other factors such as family history, advancing age in male or, in women early menopause have also been associated with a...  Read Full »

Why do the muscles in my thigh get numb?

Query: Hi doctor, My uric acid in blood shoots up to 7.9. I do not have the problem or gout or kidney stones. How to reduce it? I have already started to drink lemon water the whole day. I have attached the photographs. I have only knee pain, which is at the backside of the knee while climbing up and down...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have stated that you do not have any symptoms suggestive of gout. There are ways to keep your uric acid value in low levels. General recommendations are as follows: Decreasing intake of red meat, alcohol, rice in your diet and other purine rich sources. Also incre...  Read Full »

Please explain my report for variation in ratios of liver markers.

Query: Hi doctor, I would like to know what does my lab tells you about my current liver function. I began to struggle with daily gout pain a few months ago and finally gave in to taking the traditional drugs about one and a half months ago. Both allopurinol and probenecid caused worrisome impacts on my...  Read Full »

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Endocrinologist, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your blood works. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is all normal. Usually, during the acute attack of gout, we do not start Allopurinol or uric acid decreasing medications as it can exaggerate the situation. We usually start after the acu...  Read Full »

What medicines to take for foot swelling due to high uric acid?

Query: Hello Doctor, My foot is swollen right now and I'm sure that my uric acid went up again. It happens in the past and I need some medication for the pain and the inflammation. My height is 5'6 ft and my weight is 95kg.  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Firstly, the photo uploaded isn't informative , as the extent of redness or inflammation isn't well demarcated Secondly , do you have any past history of gout If yes , how many Acute flares did u have in the past? How severe , only foot , single joint or multiple joints ??? Any Triggers l...  Read Full »

Why do I have trigger problems in the middle finger of both hands?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having trigger problem in the middle finger of my left hand over a year. But, the same finger of my right hand has now developed the same problem. They are especially bad in the morning and it is difficult to straighten them. I can feel a very heavy click when I do it. I had blood te...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most important information to know would be x-ray of your hands. There are different types of arthritis like autoimmune, osteoarthritis and gout. It could also become worse with your new medications as they can cause bone loss and pain. It may also occur if you have a...  Read Full »

How to know the reason for my big toe pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering lately from pain in my big toe joint. It is very severe that I could not sleep two nights when I ran out of painkillers. I thought it might be a gout attack. Because I do have gout. Though my uric acid levels are mostly high, I do not really watch what I eat. My tr...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your detailed description, it is gout unless proven otherwise. The reason I say this is your past medical history of gout. Swelling of the great toe and adjoining area with excruciating pain is called podagra. It is the most common presentation of gout. Even nor...  Read Full »

Is there a therapy for painful swollen joints?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 45 years old female. Her weight is usually between 35 kg to 42 kg. She is suffering from severe pain and swollen joints for the past 15 years. Due to lack of financial resource we were unable to get treatment. Is there any therapy to heal her? She is unable to fully move her ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all a proper diagnosis has to be made for the cause of her swollen joints. It could be due to osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis (RA) or gout. Once correct diagnosis is made then the treatment can be initiated. So, I need to know whether any tests has been done...  Read Full »

How can I reduce uric acid level?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from gout. My uric acid level is 6.9. I am suffering from back rim pain, leg pain. How can I reduce my uric acid and what kind of food diet I should follow and which food will reduce my uric acid?  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, to be honest, uric acid of 6.9 is not very high and moreover in females it very rarely causes arthritis unless it is post-menopause. Secondly, the pain due to uric acid are different and very unbearable. It usually causes swelling of one joint, associated redness ...  Read Full »

Can I take Mobizox for foot pain?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother, who is 36 years old, has a lot of pain in the ball of right foot. It is like a sharp pain both on the foot as well as in the toes. He is overweight with 98 kg and he is of height 5 feet 7 inches. He is taking NAC 75 painkiller. But, the pain comes back once he stops eat...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Gout is a condition with elevated uric acid levels. It commonly affects great toe rather than ball of foot. Is your brother's great toe swollen along with the pain in the ball of the toe? How long he has been suffering from the pain? Since when he is aware of his uric ...  Read Full »

Is it safe to restart Prednisone?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with gout in left foot. It has been bothering me for a couple of weeks. Last month, I had issue with my elbow and took Prednisone. Recently, doctor said I cannot take Prednisone again so soon and was essentially screwed. Are there any other treatment options or drugs? How ...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, there is no such restriction about restarting Prednisone. As long as there is a clinical need and we have exhausted other options then there is no contraindication to restart steroids. Surely, NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) should be tried be...  Read Full »