Q. How to lower my uric acid level?

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am suffering from gout - podagra for the past 16 years. I cannot maintain a constant diet because every local doctor prescribes different. Have many wens around the body. My uric acid level is higher than normal (till 800). I am taking medicines named Colchicine and Diclofenac. From the last three months I cannot lower my uric acid level and even after every meal I am getting inflammation of the joints. Please help.

#

• First of all do not worry and send all the scanned pictures of investigations done so far and a fresh KFT (kidney function test) report, BP (blood pressure), complete sugar profile, x-ray picture of the joints and the list of complete drugs used so far.
  • Start tablet Wysolone 20 mg (Prednisolone) two times a day for 10 days and tablet Febutaz 40 mg (Febuxostat) two times a day for 15 days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Try to lose weight by lifestyle modification and stop smoking and alcohol.

Revert back with the investigation reports to a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

What kind of diet should I follow?

#

• Avoid alcohol, smoking, sea food, coffee and cakes.
  • Try to keep saturated fatty acid as low as possible.
  • Eat more and more of fresh fruits and vegetables (beans) and lentils as they are good source of protein.
  • Drink more water and juices. But, avoid sweet and keep a check on your sugar level and BP regularly.

|